Raise your hand if you’re reading this article from your phone.
Know what else you can do with your phone? Help support great organizations.
‘Tis the season for giving, and who better to give to than the non-profits that fight diseases, make dreams a reality, and show us the everyday rockstars who work tirelessly to make the world a better place?
But change typically can’t come without funding, which is why, since the massive text donations following the Haiti earthquakes, charities and non-profits have been jumping on the mobile giving wagon through mgive.com.
It’s easy to text your donations. If an organization you support has an account set up, simply text their keyword to a shared short code they have with other campaigns. A $5 or $10 fee will be added to your wireless bill that month, then transferred to the organization.
There are many participating organizations that you can text your donations to. Here’s just a sample of the non-profits who are making it easier for you to give support:
1. American Heart Association is committed to fighting heart disease and stroke: Text “HEART” to “90999″ to give $5
2. American Red Cross Relief provides disaster relief and services to help the needy, collects and distributes donated blood: Text “REDCROSS” to “90999″ to give $10
3. Amnesty international USA, a Nobel Prize-winning grassroots campaign working to end human rights abuses, including violence against women: Text “RIGHTS” to “90999″ to give $5
4. Autism Society of America, the largest grassroots autism organization in the world, working to increase public awareness of autism: Text “AUTISM” to “50555″ to give $10
5. Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the largest American grassroots working to prevent gun violence through the enactment and enforcement of gun legislation: Text “BRADY” to “50555″ to give $5
6. City of Hope is a biomedical research, treatment and educational institution dedicated to preventing and curing HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening illnesses: Text “GIVEHOPE” to “90999″ to give $5
7. Drug Policy Alliance, the nation’s largest organization fighting the war on drugs through policies based on science, compassion, health and human rights: Text “DPA” to “50555″ to give $10
8. Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is dedicated to preventing and fighting pediatric HIV through research and advocacy: Text “HIVFREE” to “90999″ to give $5
9. Food Bank for NYC works to end hunger by providing 68 million pounds of food to more than 1,000 food programs every year: Text “FBNYC” to “50555″ to give $10
10. Make-A-Wish Foundation grants wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses: Text “WISH” to “90999″ to give $5
11. Operation Smile is a volunteer medical services organization that provides reconstructive facial surgery to indigent children and young adults: Text “SMILE” to “90999″ to give $5
12. PETA, a campaign based on the principle that animals are not for us to wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment: Text “PETA” to “27722″ to give $10
13. Starlight Starbright Foundation improves quality of life for seriously ill children and their families and helps them cope with pain, fear and isolation by providing entertainment, education and family activities: Text “STAR” to “90999″ to give $5
14. Sundance Institute is dedicated to discovery and development of independent artists and audiences: Text “FILM” to “50555″ to give $10
15. Susan G. Komen For the Cure is the world’s largest network of breast cancer survivors and activists: Text “KOMEN” to “90999″ to give $10
16. United Nations Foundation is dedicated to protecting human rights around the world: Text “CERF” to 90999 to give $5
17. United Service Organizations, the primary bridge between civilians and US Armed Forces, provides morale-boosting, counseling and recreational services to military personnel: Text “USO” to “90999″ to give $5
18. V-Day, a global movement working to end violence against women through performances, education and networking: Text “JOY” to “50555″ to give $10
19. VH-1 Save the Music is dedicated to restoring instrumental music education in America’s public schools: Text “MUSIC” to “50555″ to give $10
20. Waterkeeper Alliance provides public advocates for bodies of water: Text “GULF” to “50555″ to give $10
Photo courtesy of Olgierd Pstrykotworca via Flickr
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.