A Jack Russell terrier in France had a miraculous escape from death after he was poisoned and buried alive on his third birthday.
For a moment, I thought I was reading a review of Frankenweenie, a recently released comedy-horror film directed by Tim Burton, in which a boy named Victor loses his dog Sparky and uses the power of science to bring him back to life.
But no; this actually happened last week in Charleville-Mezieres, a town about 125 miles northeast of Paris.
Ethan was dug up by a man who was walking on a lakeside pedestrian path and noticed that the ground was moving, apparently the result of convulsions from the dog’s poisoning. The man then got a shovel and dug the dog up. Lucky Ethan — not every random person strolling through the park would react that way!
The anonymous man called firefighters who rushed the shivering dog to a vet who was able to nurse the dog back to life. The terrier was subsequently identified through a microchip that showed all this happened on his third birthday.
From The Guardian:
“It’s extraordinary. We only see this in TV movies,” said veterinarian Philippe Michon. “He came back to life and without a scratch. It’s rather miraculous.”
The vet said when firemen brought the dirt-covered terrier to his office “he was completely cold, he was barely breathing.”
Michon used hot water bottles to warm up Ethan’s seemingly lifeless body. The dog was so cold his veins had collapsed and it was hard to find one to hydrate him but within 24 hours the dog was back on his feet.
Ethan is one lucky dog: between an passerby who noticed the ground moving, the firemen, and a caring veterinarian, the terrier is bouncing with life.
But that leaves the question: why did Ethan end up poisoned and in a shallow grave to begin with?
According to Gawker, Sabina Zamora, president of an animal association in Charleville-Mezieres, Ethan’s owner says he had given the dog away but police are investigating.
France has a remarkable system of health care for people, with all their medical information encoded on to a single computer chip. It’s great to know that animals are covered in a similar way.
Hooray for Ethan!
Related Care2 Coverage
Photo Credit: thinkstock