START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x
406,203 people care about Real Food

‘Give Peas a Chance’ Protest Saves Front Yard Vegetable Garden – Until Fall

‘Give Peas a Chance’ Protest Saves Front Yard Vegetable Garden – Until Fall

The peas have been given a reprieve, until September 1st. Then the villainous vines and crooked cabbage will be sentenced to the compost heap, along with the dastardly dill and randy rhubarb.

Josée Landry and Beauchamp have violated a city bylaw. They will follow city rules or pay heavily.

Landry and Beauchamp figured their front yard in Drummondville, Quebec, could be put to better use than growing grass. They wanted to lose weight and lead a healthier lifestyle. So they ripped up the sod, built raised beds, and began growing vegetables. Their video shows all that was involved in creating their urban garden.

By May the garden was thriving, with neat rows of seedlings, leafy vegetables, and the promise of a tasty harvest. That’s when city hall let them know they were facing fines up to $300 a day if they persisted with their infraction.

They have run afoul of a bylaw that limits their vegetable patch to 70 percent of their front lawn. Drummondville says the other 30 percent belongs to the municipality, and the city wants grass on its part.

The only reason the couple can have that much of an urban vegetable garden is that they lived in St. Charles de Drummond before it was annexed by Drummondville in 2004. Residents in the latter city can’t have vegetable gardens out front, period.

The pair argue they had verbal permission from the city before they started their major project. The city says there must have been a misunderstanding. Two warnings later, Landry and Beauchamp were ordered to comply with the bylaw or pay heavy fines.

They did what a lot of determined people do, went public. Inspired by the bed-in that brought so much attention to John Lennon and Yoko Ono, they moved a bed into their garden and posted signs such as “Give peas a chance.” Media appeared. The Twittersphere buzzed, and the couple dubbed their garden “Rosa”, as a nod to Rosa Parks.

The city backed down, though only until September 1st. Landry and Beauchamp are scheduled to appear at city hall on August 13th. By then they may have enough support to show Drummondville that times have changed. People want healthy food. They want food security. The idea that a front-yard vegetable garden is an eyesore is gradually giving way to a different aesthetic, one that sees beauty in peas.

Related Care2 Stories

The Incredible Edible Forest

Vancouver Plants Orchards in Parks and Golf Courses

Tulsa Rips Out Woman’s edible and Medicinal Garden

Urban Farmer Told to Shut Down or Face Legal Action

Read more: , , , ,

Photo from video by Josée Landry via YouTube

quick poll

vote now!

Loading poll...

have you shared this story yet?

some of the best people we know are doing it

265 comments

+ add your own
11:06PM PDT on Aug 29, 2012

One big problem with urban gardening in your front yard is all the toxins the vegetables are exposed to from car exhaust every time someone drives by. No amount of organic gardening is going to prevent that and it can amount to a pretty sizeable toxin load. Not sure I'd want to eat vegetables grown in anyone's front yard that has a street near it. There are always warnings about gathering and eating wild berries that grow near any highways for this same reason.

4:40PM PDT on Aug 19, 2012

They werent told they can't have a frontyard garden at all, just that it has to comply with the city's by-laws. The article states:
a bylaw that limits their vegetable patch to 70 percent of their front lawn. Drummondville says the other 30 percent belongs to the municipality, and the city wants grass on its part.

They should be happy that they can have that much since people in Drummondville can't have one at all. Read the article again.

10:48AM PDT on Aug 18, 2012

This is so ridiculous! Let people garden on their own property!

1:12PM PDT on Aug 16, 2012

that is RIDICULOUS!

9:06AM PDT on Aug 12, 2012

I do agree it's a little absurd that they aren't allowed to grow their own vegetables in their front yard (I think that's a wonderful thing), but then again they should have double-checked to see if they were allowed to. Someone can say they are allowed to but that someone won't always be right.

8:31AM PDT on Aug 12, 2012

Such a lovely looking yard! Veggies should be able to be grown everywhere in all your house yards!

12:42PM PDT on Aug 11, 2012

it's a lot nicer looking that that ugly grass! I guess they'll just have to move it back a bit?

6:12PM PDT on Aug 4, 2012

I think their garden is a lot nicer looking than grass. Plus, it has a healthy use. I'd rather use water to grow food instead of grass anyway. The yard looks very well kept & clean. The government needs to focus on serious things....like maybe, oh I don't know....the war, murders, drugs, crime, etc.

7:09PM PDT on Aug 2, 2012

I have in my back terrace all in pots.....-I live in an apartment complex. I am very proud of my veggy.

7:09PM PDT on Aug 2, 2012

I have in my back terrace all in pots.....-I live in an apartment complex. I am very proud of my veggy.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

ads keep care2 free

meet our writers

Steve Williams Steve Williams is a passionate supporter of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) rights, human... more
Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!

more from causes

Animal Welfare

Causes Canada

Causes UK

Children

Civil Rights

Education

Endangered Wildlife

Environment & Wildlife

Global Development

Global Warming

Health Policy

Human Rights

LGBT rights

Politics

Real Food

Trailblazers For Good

Women's Rights




Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.