Help Your School Win $20,000 in the “America’s Favorite School” Contest
What determines a great school? You tell us…by nominating your favorite school in the “America’s Favorite School” contest, co-sponsored by Care2.com and GreatSchools.org. Your great school could win $20,000.
The contest, which runs from April 12 – May 21, is free and open to everyone: parents, teachers, students, administrators and community members. The purpose of the contest, in addition to rewarding a great school with recognition and funding, is to encourage communities to rally in support of their schools and to draw attention to the many schools across our nation that work.
The more votes a school receives, the better that school’s chances of winning. Here are four easy ways to get the word out and get people to vote for your chosen school (all of the material referenced can be downloaded here.) .
1. Send an email to your friends and networks asking them to vote for your school. Copy a sample email (page 2). If you are involved in a parent or community organization with a newsletter, be sure to feature the contest and invite your readers to vote.
2. Talk about the contest on your website, blog, Facebook or MySpace pages and/or Twitter. Better yet, also add a banner. Ask your friends and family to do the same to support your school. You can also make a YouTube video to tell people why your school is the greatest. If you play online games, share the news with your community. Be creative and get the word out that your school could win $20,000.
3. Post a flyer at your school, your local library, your neighborhood coffee shop, or other local venues.
4. Get noticed by local media. Follow these simple steps to use this contest as a way to draw local media attention to your school:
- Use the Press Release template (page 3-4) to create a press release and customize it by adding information about your school, as well as your school’s contest URL.
- See the Local Media Guide and FAQ (pages 6-8) for useful advice on reaching out to the media.
- Create a list of local media outlets and send them your press release.
Care2 is the largest online community devoted to activism in the service of healthy, ethical and other progressive causes. GreatSchools is an independent, nonprofit organization that improves education by inspiring parents to be involved. Parents choose GreatSchools to connect with each other – to find the right schools, share stories and advice, and get their parenting questions answered. Over the past 10 years, GreatSchools has empowered and inspired millions of parents to support their children’s education. In the past year alone, more than 37 million people – approximately one in three K-12 households in the U.S. – visited GreatSchools. With hundreds of thousands of ratings and parent reviews of schools nationwide, GreatSchools is the paramount parent-to-parent education community.
So, nominate your favorite school and spread the word. If you have any questions regarding the contest, don’t hesitate to contact Care2 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And remember: while only one school will earn the title and the grand prize, by nominating your school and promoting attention, involvement and community support, you and your school will be winners.
photo credit: http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles23412.jpg