START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good

Jason Mraz Supports Marriage Equality (VIDEO)

Jason Mraz Supports Marriage Equality (VIDEO)


Singer/songwriter Jason Mraz has recorded a video for the HRC’s Americans for Marriage Equality video series.

In the video Mraz says: “I believe that people have a right to marry the person that they love.”

Mraz has previously stated why he supports LGBT rights, saying in 2010 on his own blog:

When I was in high school, I experienced being bullied. For whatever reason, there were a few students that enjoyed calling me “faggot” as I walked thru the lunchroom.

On one occasion, just before graduation, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and picked up a few punches, kicks and scrapes to add to my story. I never knew why the handsome lads called me names or felt the need to bully me, but it happened and I let their actions contribute a great deal to my moving away from that community.

Shortly after the row, my best friend came out, sharing with his friends and family that he was gay. In my small town, this was uncommon and since then I’ve considered my friend to be the bravest man in the world. Aware of the hate within our community, I was afraid my friend might be inviting trouble to his door — but that never stopped him from being fully expressed.

This is why I am actively seeking equality for the whole. When all of us are acknowledged as the human equals that we really are, there will be no space left for bullying. It will no longer be wrong to choose one thing over another. Equality and Separation cannot exist in the same space.

In the same post Mraz discusses why he attended a Harvey Milk Day celebration and how he is against bans on gay marriage. Read the full post here.

See a full list of the Americans for Marriage Equality video series as shown on Care2 here.

Related Reading:

Aisha Tyler: Gays Can Save Marriage, Straights Are F-ing it Up

Ben & Jerry Support Marriage Equality

Vanessa Williams Supports Marriage Equality


Read more: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Image taken from campaign video under fair use, no infringement intended.

have you shared this story yet?

some of the best people we know are doing it


+ add your own
3:50AM PST on Nov 21, 2012

Thank you for sharing.

3:18PM PDT on Mar 25, 2012

People are speaking up for human rights and equality. The time for growth is now.

7:24AM PDT on Mar 25, 2012


8:58AM PDT on Mar 24, 2012

Good for him!

5:06AM PDT on Mar 24, 2012

Sharon S,
"BPA in the early developmental stages contribute to 80% of the imbalance."
then please, if you can, explain how the same percentage of the human species has been gay throughout the centuries.
was there BPA in plastic bottles thousands of years ago? who manufactured that plastic?
isn't it more logical that, as in so many other species of animal on earth, "gay" is something that nature has always created in almost all, possibly even every single species, of creature that exists?

5:42PM PDT on Mar 23, 2012

Now in tears.

2:25PM PDT on Mar 23, 2012


10:40AM PDT on Mar 23, 2012

The human being is a bundle of chemistry..... get the estrogens and testosterone out of balance, and all changes in the bundle of chemistry. I believe BPA in the early developmental stages contribute to 80% of the imbalance. The remaining 20% is social and experiential. You can blame the "Plastic Bottle" and Oil industry for creating sexual confusion in so many children.

9:03AM PDT on Mar 23, 2012

I think the most important support for equality comes from heterosexual people. They have more ability to show some sense to other heterosexual people because they are not fighting for them, but for justice/equality - period.

6:21AM PDT on Mar 23, 2012

Jason Mraz, thank you for standing up for what you believe in...Equality for all!!!

add your comment

Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

Care2 - Be Extraordinary - Start a Care2 Petition
ads keep care2 free

Recent Comments from Causes

The Only reason why this hasn't stopped is because the wealthy people like Mitt Romney own these horse's…

So gross and frightening to me. I don't eat much meat any more but it should still be safe for everyone.…

meet our writers

Steve Williams Steve Williams is a passionate supporter of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) rights, human... more
ads keep care2 free

Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.

site feedback


Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!