START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good
2,267,938 people care about Health Policy

Can Pet Food Poison Your Kids? (VIDEO)

Can Pet Food Poison Your Kids? (VIDEO)

A new study suggests kids can get salmonella poisoning by handling dry pet food. The salmonella, which can get on the surface of the pet food pellets while still in the factory, can live on the pellets for months.  

Dogs and cats don’t usually show symptoms when they are sick from salmonella. But the 2006 – 2008 salmonella outbreak sickened 79 individuals and about half of them were under two years of age. 

Washing your hands is key, but shouldn’t we be focused on eliminating the salmonella altogether?!

Read more: , , , ,

Photo credit: thanks to MShades via flickr

quick poll

vote now!

Loading poll...

have you shared this story yet?

some of the best people we know are doing it


+ add your own
2:00AM PDT on Aug 22, 2010

good to know

11:39AM PDT on Aug 18, 2010

small children and pet food/dishes etc should not get together. Even when the pet dish is has just been thoroughly cleaned - if the house rule is "don't touch" then just stick to that. It's easier for wee kiddies to learn without having to cope with any exceptions.

12:41AM PDT on Aug 18, 2010

Thanks for the information.

12:57PM PDT on Aug 17, 2010

Noted with thanks!

12:42PM PDT on Aug 17, 2010

I don't have kids but if I did I would not feed them cat food. Thank you.

8:41PM PDT on Aug 15, 2010

interesting article

7:22PM PDT on Aug 14, 2010

I will be more cautious with my daughter and the pet food containers and products.

5:29PM PDT on Aug 14, 2010

Cats are very finicky eaters, and I often notice that our cats reject the food altogether. They have a keen sense of smell, and may know something that we don't about the food. I always try to feed fresh food, and avoid it becoming contaminated just by sitting in the bowl (after they eat some the bacteria from their mouths is likely in the food and can grow). Also, I buy smaller bags. They are terrible with wet food and usually only eat a few bites and then reject it - why I continue to feed it to them since it seems like a tremendous waste is something I may never figure out. Thanks for this article.

4:09PM PDT on Aug 14, 2010

Thanks for the article!

10:12AM PDT on Aug 14, 2010


add your comment

Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

Care2 - Be Extraordinary - Start a Care2 Petition
ads keep care2 free

Recent Comments from Causes

What kind of parent would give a five-year-old a gun as a present anyway? Five-year-olds (even assuming…

Just for the record, "Wisconsin" isn't trying to disenfranchise vets -- SNOT WALKER and his evil henchmen…

this doesn't seem to count those of us who eat organically out of our own gardens.

ads keep care2 free

more from causes

Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.

site feedback


Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!