START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x
570,207 people care about Real Food

Restaurants Could Be Serving Fish That Will Give You Explosive Diarrhea

Restaurants Could Be Serving Fish That Will Give You Explosive Diarrhea

Written by Maureen Nandini Mitra

Planning on a seafood dinner tonight? Be warned, what you see on the menu may not be what you get. Chances are that white tuna roll you are served is actually escolar, a fish that’s banned for consumption in Japan and Italy because it can do nasty things to your digestion. The red snapper could actually be rockfish and the braised seabass, Antarctic toothfish.

A new report released today by the marine conservation group, Oceana, reveals widespread seafood fraud across the United States. The group spent two years testing 1,215 fish samples from 674 retail outlets in 21 states and found via DNA-testing that one-third, or 33 percent of the samples were mislabeled.

The problem is especially bad in Southern California where 52 percent of the samples collected were mislabeled. Austin, Houston and Boston — where almost half of the fish tested were mislabeled —  came a close second. Elsewhere, mislabeling rates varied from 39 to 26 percent (see map). But irrespective of where you live, chances are the fish you order isn’t the fish you eat. As the report notes, nationwide, sushi restaurants mislabeled their fish 74 percent of the time. And that oily escolar — researchers found that is was substituted 84 percent of the time for white tuna.

“Purchasing seafood has become the ultimate guessing game for U.S. consumers,” Beth Lowell, campaign director at Oceana, said in a statement. “Whether you live in California or Kansas, no one is safe from seafood fraud.”
This is bad news because not only are consumers getting ripped off – paying more for cheaper fish varieties, but also because eating stuff we don’t know can be potentially bad for our health and can harm overfished species, such as the Gulf grouper (which is sold as the more sustainable black grouper) as well. As Lowell told me over the phone this morning: “You can’t make a conscious choice about what you are eating if you don’t know what’s being served.”

Oceana scientists found that some fish varieties, such as tilefish and king mackerel, that are on the US Food and Drug Administration’s “Do Not Eat” list for pregnant women and children because of high mercury content, are also being used as substitutes.

The study, the first-ever nationwide investigation into this problem, was however limited only to retail outlets, including restaurants, sushi venues and grocery stores. It didn’t look into where exactly in the supply chain — on the boat, during processing, or on the retail end — seafood fraud actually takes place.

Today, more than 90 percent of the seafood consumed in the U.S. is imported, while less than 1 percent is inspected by the government specifically for fraud. With more than 1,700 different species of seafood from all over the world now available for sale in the U.S., it’s impossible for consumers to verify what they are actually eating.

Clearly, as the Oceana study shows, our government needs to do a better job of tracking our seafood supply from boat to plate to ensure the fish we eat is sustainable and accurately labeled. In the meantime, it might be wise to put your fish consumption on hold, or at the very least, follow the tips listed below.

What Consumers Can Do

• Ask questions. Consumers should ask more questions, including what kind of fish it is, if it is wild or farm raised, and where, when and how it was caught.

• Check the price. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is, and you are likely purchasing a completely different species than what is on the label.

• Purchase the whole fish. When possible, consumers can purchase the whole fish, which makes it more difficult to swap one species for another.

This post was originally published by the Earth Island Journal.

 

Related Stories:

Is Genetically Engineered Salmon Safe?

3 Ways to Avoid High Levels of Mercury in Your Fish

Shopping for Dinner Shouldn’t Be a Game of Russian Roulette

 

Read more: , , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

some of the best people we know are doing it

166 comments

+ add your own
2:34AM PDT on May 1, 2014

Thank you

2:33AM PDT on May 1, 2014

Thank you

1:30PM PDT on Jun 11, 2013

thanks for sharing

7:20AM PDT on Jun 11, 2013

Natalie n I think there is hope the USA seems to be particularly corrupt & also stupid with it, I avoid fish because of fishing cruelty being vegetarian.

3:48AM PDT on Jun 11, 2013

Check before eating

9:22PM PDT on Jun 10, 2013

Thanks for sharing.

12:24AM PDT on Jun 1, 2013

If you should be opting for finest contents like me, just visit this blog site daily because it provides the feature contents, thanks.
outback steakhouse coupon

9:56AM PDT on Apr 9, 2013

Thank you Earth Island Journal, for Sharing this!

5:47PM PST on Mar 4, 2013

Seen this on Dr. Oz

12:48PM PST on Mar 4, 2013

So sad

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

ads keep care2 free

Recent Comments from Causes

#5 is complete and utter HORSE HOCKEY! Cooked foods DO NOT cut performance. If it did, Olympic atheletes…

To what end?? This has the appearance of trying to hide something.

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!
ads keep care2 free

more from causes

Animal Welfare

Causes Canada

Causes UK

Children

Civil Rights

Education

Endangered Wildlife

Environment & Wildlife

Global Development

Global Warming

Health Policy

Human Rights

LGBT rights

Politics

Real Food

Trailblazers For Good

Women's Rights




Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.