Hurricane Sandy brought enormous destruction — but there are plenty of ways to help out. Here’s a list. Add your own ideas and organizations in the comments and we’ll move them up into the post as we keep updating it.
Red Cross: As always, the Red Cross is a great first stop.
- Red Cross Facebook page/information
- DonationsMobile $10 donation: text REDCROSS to 90999.
- Give Blood (They’ve had to cancel well over 100 blood donor events because of the storm.) To schedule a donor appointment: Call 1-800-RED-CROSS
Facebook Global Disaster Relief page: all kinds of information and helping opportunities
NEW: h/t to Melissa Byrne
Search for open shelters where you can volunteer by texting: SHELTER and a Zip Code to 43362 (4FEMA)
For animals, services offered through:
Focus on kids:
- Donate at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org OR
- Call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769) OR
- Text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your phone
Craig Newmark is offering to match any donations made through his fundraiser (funds will be distributed to the Red Cross, Feeding America, the National Wildlife Federation, and other groups).
Watch this space for updates.