Toni Shelton, who lives in Sugar Creek, Missouri, has been repainting old tires to turn them into flower planters.
“I was just really interested in recycling and I’m really big on self-sufficiency,” she told KCTV news.
Sounds like a great idea, right?
After all, recycling is one of the most important things we can do to preserve our planet.
The authorities in Sugar Creek do not agree. They have issued Shelton a citation, but she is refusing to pay the fine based on principle. Instead, she is prepared to go to jail after she was threatened by authorities in her home town.
Why are these tires such a threat to Sugar Creek? Apparently the number of tires she was storing could attract mosquitoes and lower property values.
Oh no! What could be more important than property values?
“We’d asked her to put them somewhere else because there were quite a number of them,” Sugar Creek Chief Herb Soule insisted.”We try to keep people from accumulating tires because they retain water and they attract mosquitos. They detract from property values in the neighborhood too.”
Shelton as now moved most of the old tires and is storing some of them inside of an old truck.
Still she said she won’t get rid of all the tires because she said it would send the wrong message to her children.
“I don’t want my kids to see me back down and not follow my heart,” she explained to KCTV news.
The case will be heard in municipal court in Sugar Creek next week.
Missouri officials don’t seem to be aware, but here are some of the benefits of recycling:
• Recycling protects and expands US manufacturing jobs and increases US competitiveness;
• Recycling reduces the need for landfilling and incineration;
• Recycling prevents pollution caused by the manufacturing of products from virgin materials;
• Recycling saves energy;
• Recycling decreases emissions of greenhouse gases that contribute to global climate change;
• Recycling conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
• Recycling helps sustain the environment for future generations.
If you agree that Toni Shelton is improving the environment by recycling old tires and that, far from being punished, she should be applauded, please sign our petition demanding that all charges against her be dropped immediately.
Photo Credit: KCTV 5 news online video