Written by Erin Brady of Ohio (USA)
One July day, I was walking from my lab in the Lerner Research Institute in Cleveland to buy a fruit smoothie from the cafeteria. I had walked the same sidewalk many times before, but this time I spotted something a little strange. I saw a little fur ball. At first I thought it might be a rat, but after a double-take, I realized it was a very small kitten of about four weeks old.
It made absolutely no sense for a tiny kitten to be between two very busy city streets. There was no way for her to get there by herself so I assume someone dumped her there. I snapped out of my suprise and took off after her. As she scurried away she ran right into a rat bait trap. These traps are spread around businesses and hospitals outside to control the rodent population. I picked up the trap and carried it back to my lab. Safe to say I got a few strange looks and possible questions of my sanity when I marched in with this trap and told everyone there was a kitten in there. I placed the trap on my work bench and proceeded to cut the trap open.
We Had to Wash the Poison Off Her Fur
We proceeded to pull her out and give her a bath in the lab sink. Our first thought was to wash off any poison that she might later lick off her coat. She was not happy about the bath and I saw that she was very sick. Mucus from her eyes and nose had taken off most of the fur on her face.
She was quickly taken to an emergency vet clinic that really wasn’t much help. So I took her to our regular vet the next day and they said she had a major upper respiratory infection. She received antibiotics, and after awhile, began to recover and grow. Her fur grew back and she transformed into the beauty you see today. We named her Sophie and she responded to her name within a few days of us naming her.
She is an absolute joy. She loves to be cuddled and picked up. She has the biggest round owl eyes a’
nd the happiest kitten voice. She has made herself a cozy bed in a dresser drawer which I cannot close now. She knows who is the princess in our house. While I didn’t get that smoothie that summer day, I did find something much more precious. More photos of precious Sophie
What’s Your Rescue Story?
Have you ever had to make a split second decision to help an animal in need? Share your story (and photos) in The Great Animal Rescue Chase tournament to save one million. We’re home to thousands of animal lovers like you who have seized everyday opportunities to help animals in need. Come on over and take a peek at our rescue showcase.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.
Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!