Women Raped, Tortured and Beaten at Clothing Factory in Jordan
Have you ever shopped at Wal-Mart, Target, Macy’s, Kohl’s Lands’ End, or Hanes?
Chances are you probably have, but did you know you were supporting companies that rape, torture and beat thousands of women in their factories?
According to a report from the Institute of Global Labour and Human Rights, thousands of Southeast Asian young women working at the Classic Factory in Jordan, which manufactures clothing for some of the biggest brand names sold in the U.S., have been victims of repeated sexual and physical abuse.
- A six-month undercover investigation reveals horrifying findings:
- A standard shift is 13 hours a day, 6-7 days a week
- Women work over 18 hour shifts to finish clothing that must be shipped to the U.S.
- Some women only make 61 cents an hour
- Women are routinely cursed at, hit, and shortchanged of their wages
- Women are groped and fondled by managers to get them to work faster
- Women are repeatedly raped by upper management (one woman’s assailant, a manager, bit her entire body leaving scars)
- Women who refuse sexual advances are beaten and deported
- Women who become pregnant are forcibly returned to their home countries
These abuses are best described by one of the women herself:
Anil Santha, a Production Manager at the Classic Factory in Jordan, has been identified as one of the perpetrators of the sexual and physical abuse the woman face. Santha was arrested to face charges of rape and torture but was mysteriously freed after just two days. He returned back to work at a Classic factory as if nothing had happened to continue raping, abusing and torturing women again.
Tell me, how does this abuse continue with no repercussions?
Something has to be done and now you can be part of the solution! Sign our petition to tell Wal-Mart, Target, Macy’s, Kohl’s Lands’ End, and Hanes to immediately end the sexual and physical abuse of thousands of women.
Related by Care2:
Photo credit: Photo by mikefats used under a Creative Commons license.