1. Drink at least 8-10 cups of pure water throughout the day to prevent dehydration. Dehydration is a chronic problem for most people. Drinking plenty of pure water is especially important for anyone leading an active lifestyle, since significant amounts of fluid can be lost during exercise. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime to the water.
2. Eat moderate amounts of fruit, the best food to keep your colon and lymphatic system–the system that cleans your tissues cleansed and moving properly. When the lymphatic system is sluggish, pain or weight gain usually result. Fruit often gets a bad rap thanks to many of the high protein diets, yet it is one of Mother Nature’s most powerful cleansing foods. It’s best eaten on an empty stomach and in moderation if you’re trying to lose weight.
3. Start lunch and dinner with a large green salad since it is full of enzymes to help your body with the digestion of your meals, instead of depleting your body’s owns supplies. Also, leafy greens are powerhouses of vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll (the green color in plants that also helps cleanse your blood), and many phytochemicals–plant nutrients packed with a wide variety of healing abilities.
4. Eat a small healthy snack every two to three hours to stabilize blood sugar. Wild blood sugar fluctuations can deplete your energy, cause your body to gain weight, or depress your immune system. Snacking throughout the day will help stabilize your blood sugar and your energy levels. Raw, unsalted almonds make the perfect blood-sugar-stabilizing snack since they are packed with fiber and protein. As an added bonus, their rich in minerals like calcium and magnesium.
5. Avoid eating sweets, synthetic sweeteners or foods sweetened with them during your cleanse. Sugars depress your immune system for up to 6 hours. Artificial sweeteners need to be processed by your liver, your body’s main detoxification organ, which takes plentiful amounts of energy. Free up that energy for cleansing and healing.
Keep reading to learn 5 more essentials for a successful detox…