Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): Pumpkin seed extracts and oils are used in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) (A non-cancer enlargement of the prostate gland). U.S. Studies have shown a beneficial link between nutrients in pumpkin seeds (pumpkin seed oil extract), and treating BPH. These nutrients include phytosterols, lignans, and zinc, among others.
Protein: Along with all the beneficial phytonutrients and antioxidants in pumpkin seeds, they are also a rich source of protein! One ounce of pumpkin seeds contains 9.35 grams of protein.
How to use pumpkin seeds:
- With any nut or seed a little goes a long way (remember it contains the building blocks to create a whole new plant!)
- Enjoy the whole kernels on their own, raw or lightly roasted. (This way you get the complete package of nutrients.)
- Sprinkle some seeds on top of your cereal or granola in the morning.
- Enjoy them with your evening salad.
- Throw shelled seeds into a smoothie (as long as you have a good blender.)
- Take a small handful of pumpkin seeds mixed with some dried fruit along for a hike.
- Sprinkle on top of your homemade bread (or mix it into the dough) before baking.
There are many ways to enjoy pumpkin seeds, so experiment and enjoy!