For centuries people have sought the healing benefits of herbs to incite passion and build sexual vitality.
Herbs for sexual vitality can be used in the form of tea, tincture or capsules. However, before using herbs, clear up any emotional conflicts that may be affecting sexuality and develop a healthier diet.
1. Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum, C. cassia) has been used in love potions since medieval times. It is warming, improves circulation and is mildly stimulating.
2. Damiana (Turnera aphrodisiaca, T. diffusa) is used in Central America for frigidity, erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and testicular atrophy. It helps sexual problems related to anxiety and increases nerve sensitivity.
3. Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) relaxes blood vessels so that nutrients can be better delivered throughout the body. By improving vascular insufficiency it can improve blood flow to the penis. Ginkgo is considered a kidney tonic and rejuvenative.
4. Ginseng (Panax ginseng) improves fatigue and increases stamina. It strengthens the adrenal glands.
5. Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacón, L. meyenii) is an energy enhancer, nutritive and rejuvenative that increases pituitary function, encouraging the body’s natural hormonal production. Maca also helps improve vaginal lubrication.
6. Muira puama (Ptychopetalum olacoides, P. uncinatum) is native to South America where it is referred to as “potency wood.” It improves virility and improves sexual debility. It is considered a tonic for the central nervous system as well as an aphrodisiac.
7. Oatstraw (Avena sativa) is warming, nutritive and relaxing. It has long been regarded as a tonic to improve sexual ability, increase libido, aid impotence and premature ejaculation. As it nourishes the nervous system it makes tactile sensations more pleasurable for both men and women.
8. Schizandra (Schisandra chinensis) increases staying power in men and is a kidney tonic for both men and women improving general weakness, depression and sexual debility. It is also suggested as an herb to help heal trauma from sexual abuse.
9. Tribulis terrestris (same Latin name, though also known as Caltrop and Horny Goat Weed) is used for erectile dysfunction and low sperm count. It’s a kidney tonic, rejuvenative and aphrodisiac.
10. Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia) was once banned by the Puritans because of its sexually stimulating qualities. The word vanilla is actually derived from the Latin meaning “little vagina” and as many people know plants in the Orchid family such as vanilla have very sexually suggestive anatomically correct flowers.
Learn to prepare food with more zest including cinnamon and vanilla but cardamom, cloves, garlic and ginger—all of which are warming and aphrodisiac.
Too often couples have only leftover time for sex—11:30 at night when they are exhausted or 8:00 in the morning when having to be somewhere in an hour.
Additional tips to enhance sexual vitality…
Find a time when the kids are visiting someone else or send him or her to a sitter for a few hours.
Turn down the volume on the phone and let voice mail take care of things for a while.
Enter you sacred space with a clean body without time restraints.
Engage in massage as foreplay to help you relax and stimulate all the meridians of energy throughout the body.
Remember to breathe together.
Make love more slowly.
Enjoy after play by lying together to rest, enjoy a sweet nap or exchange your feelings of love.
By Brigitte Mars (excerpt from The Sexual Herbal)