When you think of superfoods, you probably picture exotic, expensive, hard-to-find ingredients like acai or or goji berries, but there are plenty of superfoods available at the regular old grocery store. We’ve got some superfood recipes starring superfoods that are as readily available as they are healthy!
Why Eat Superfoods?
As part of a healthy, active lifestyle, nutrient-dense superfoods offer extra health benefits. They can protect your body from disease, help you build healthy bones, and even improve your memory.
Related Reading: 6 Superfoods to Boost Your Health
Chances are, you’re already eating at least some superfoods on a regular basis, and making an effort to include more servings of these nutrient-packed fruits and veggies in your diet doesn’t have to be a chore. Armed with some yummy superfood recipes, you can incorporate more of these super healthy foods in your day to day.
If some of these foods are new to you, shopping for them might seem a little bit overwhelming. On the next page, check out a few shopping tips to help you choose the healthiest options and even save some cash!
Image Credit: Photo by Becky Striepe
Superfood Shopping Tips
The recipes on the next page focus on six superfoods: kale, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, chia seeds, avocado, and quinoa. These ingredients are all pretty easy to find at the grocery store, and with a little know-how you can save some money and protect your health even more.
Kale – Conventionally-grown kale is on the dirty dozen list, which means it can have a lot of pesticide residues on it. Choose organic kale at the store.
Blueberries – Conventionally grown blueberries are heavy on the pesticide residues, and the real trouble is that those pesticides are inside the fruit, so you can’t wash them off. Make sure you’re choosing organic blueberries for the maximum health benefit.
Pomegranate Seeds – Some stores sell pomegranate seeds on their own, but if you’re buying a whole pomegranate, you might find you have trouble seeding it the first time out. Check out this video for a less-mess method to get at those yummy pomegranate seeds!
Chia Seeds – This might be the trickiest ingredient to find. If your grocery store doesn’t have chia seeds, check our local health food store or co-op. The trick to saving money on chia seeds is to skip the supplement aisle, where they’re pre-packaged and grossly overpriced. Instead, head to the bulk bins, where you can get a big bag of chia seeds for just a few dollars.
Avocado – Avocado is on the EWG’s Clean 15 list, so if you do need to save a buck at the store, you can pick up a conventional avocado instead of an organic one.
Quinoa – Just like chia seeds, you can save a bundle if you buy your quinoa in bulk. I know folks think of health food stores and co-ops as more expensive, but it’s worth a trip to those bulk bins for the money you’ll save on grains, nuts, and seeds.
10 Superfood Recipes
1. Quinoa Superfood Salad – This salad is good hot or cold, and it includes four of the superfoods listed above.
2. Blueberry Salsa – Fruit salsas make a yummy sauce for savory dishes or work well just like tomato-based salsa with some chips for dipping.
3. Raw Chocolate Chia Energy Bars – Who says getting your daily dose of superfoods can’t be a little decadent?
4. Baked Kale Chips – I kind of think of kale chips as the quintessential kale recipe. Sprinkle with some nutritional yeast for a B-vitamin kick and a mellow, cheesy flavor. YUM!
5. Best Damn Guacamole Ever – I know, you probably already have a guac recipe in your arsenal, but this one from Jerry James Stone at Treehugger is too delicious not to share!
6. Avocado Corn Cups – This avocado recipe is easy to put together and oh-so-satisfying.
7. Pomegranate Smoothie – Start your day with a superfood smoothie!
8. Beet and Pomegranate Salad – This recipe calls for Sambal Ulek, an Indonesian chili sauce. If you can’t find it, Sriracha should do the trick.
9. Quinoa Vegetable Paella – Rice, schmice! Quinoa is a perfect base for a tasty paella.
10. Blueberry, Kale, and Quinoa Salad with Fresh Blueberry Vinaigrette – Another tasty quinoa salad that’s full of superfood ingredients!
Have you cooked up any superfood recipes lately? Let’s keep the recipe ideas coming in the comments!
Image Credit: Photo by Becky Striepe