10 Ways to Repurpose an Old Picture Frame
ďArt is only art when it is synonymous with living.Ē Mid-century designer Alexander Girard said this and he is the inspiration for this DIY project.
I recently went up in the attic looking for a sun-faced poster that I had as a kid. It was a popular 60s design by Girard. While I was digging around in the dust, I spied some pictures leaning next to old wood frames. Many were handed down in our families, some of them ornate and gilded. They just donít work with our decorating style now. Iím not bringing the pictures back into circulation, but those frames possess untapped potential.
Picture frames are fun to collect and easy to pick up in antique, thrift, second-hand stores, flea markets, tag sales and donít forget to search for finds when you travel.
10 Ways to repurpose a vintage picture frame:
2. Frame a calendar.
3. Frame vintage wallpaper or vintage fabric (I like Marimekko), old calendar pictures, greeting cards, magazine covers or record albums.
5. Display photos or a make a collage.
6. Make a bulletin board from a frame without a glass. Back it with cork or wine corks.
7. Make a magnetic bulletin board.
8. Cover a digital picture frame. Cut the frame and glue it over a generic digital picture frame.
9. Make a scrapbook display or an inspiration board for all your DIY. ideas.
10. Frame a pocket display board Ė for organizing bills, photos, business cards. Use colored library book pockets, envelopes or fabric.
No vintage frames? No problem. Check out this vintage frame tape to frame anything, anytime, anywhere.
Vintage frames have wonderful decorative potential. Is the picture or the frame the art? Live with it and find out. What would you do with a vintage frame?