The holidays wouldn’t be complete without delicious and nutritious sweet potatoes. Chances are you’ve been enjoying sweet potatoes but haven’t given much thought to their nutritional and health-promoting qualities. Here are 11 reasons to love sweet potatoes:
1. Beta Carotene — Their orange color is the giveaway that they are high in beta carotene, which is the precursor to vitamin A in the body and helps ensure a healthy immune system and great skin. A small amount of natural fat like extra virgin olive oil helps increase absorption of beta carotene.
2. Batatosides — Recently researchers discovered a related group of nutrients in sweet potatoes called batatosides that have been found to have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
3. Cyanidins and Peonidins — New research shows that cyanidins and peonidins found in sweet potatoes may be able to lower the potential health risk posed by heavy metals.
4. Antioxidants — A particular type of protein found in sweet potatoes called sporamins are potent antioxidants that help reduce the effects of aging and disease.
5. Inflammation Reduction — Compounds found in sweet potatoes reduce inflammation. In animal studies consuming sweet potatoes reduced inflammation in the brain and nerve tissue throughout the body.
6. Reduced Fibrinogen — Sweet potatoes appear to reduce the amount of fibrinogen in the body, which means it may be helpful for diseases like multiple sclerosis and fibromyalgia.
Keep reading to discover more reasons to love sweet potatoes and ways to enjoy them...