When the going gets tough, the tough play cards! Try that, as well as these other easy, inspiring ways to stay calm and collected in the face of day-to-day tensions.
1. Medicate yourself with laughter. The quickest way to do this is to watch a comedy movie. It’s impossible to stay glum when Dumb & Dumber‘s playing in front of you!
2. Do something you love: knitting, painting, baking. Research shows that simple, feel-good hobbies envelope you in overall serenity and reduce blood pressure. They can be as relaxing as yoga!
3. Call up your friends and cobble together a card-playing session. An extensive Japanese study showed that community games and activities reduce stress and lower your risk of stroke.
4. Eat an orange. It’s fresh, full of vital Vitamin C, and a proven mood booster.
5. Give your windows a good scrub-down. When they sparkle, so will your mood. (Here’s a natural way to clean glass.)
6. Step out and gaze at the stars. The firmament has a magical way of melting your stresses away.
7. Stretch. For just 5 minutes, open up your limbs and feel the knotted up tensions easing out.
8. Scrub the stress away–literally! Make a thick paste of 1 part baby oil and 2 parts granulated sugar. Apply it all over your arms and legs and feet. Rinse off with warm water.
9. Cheat on your diet. Go ahead and have a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
10. Buy yourself a bunch of roses. Pop them into a beautiful vase. Take time to smell the flowers and run your fingers over their delicate petals. Roses have been used for centuries to heal stress with their cool, soothing scent and deep loveliness.
11. Log in to your Facebook account, and catch up on your friends’ updates. It’s a great way to catch up with others and take your mind off your own problems.