You are what you eat, according to the adage, but I say you are what you eat, digest, absorb, and assimilate. The building blocks of every cell, tissue, gland, hormone, organ, organ system are found in foods. If foods are not adequately broken down into their components like essential fatty acids (from fats), amino acids (from protein), sugars (from starchy foods), vitamins, minerals, enzymes (specialized proteins), and phytonutrients, then systems in the body begin to break down. If you are suffering from almost any health problem chances are good that your digestion is involved. The flip side is that if you improve your digestion your health will typically follow. Here are 10 ways to improve your digestion.
1. Increase the amount of raw foods in your diet. It may seem counterintuitive but if you chew them well enough, raw fruit, vegetables, sprouts, and herbs contain the enzymes needed to digest them, thereby freeing up your body’s energy and improving digestion.
2. Simplify your meals. Complex meals involving starches (potatoes, rice, or pasta) and concentrated proteins (meat, poultry, or fish), topped off with a sweet dessert are a recipe for disaster. Try waiting for a couple of hours to have dessert and keep the meal focused on either starch or concentrated proteins along with lots of vegetables.
3. Using a hot water bottle on your abdomen for about one hour after eating has been shown to increase hydrochloric acid production. It’s not difficult to do if you’re sitting down to watch TV anyway.
4. Ensure you’re getting enough of the nutrients needed by the body to manufacture hydrochloric acid. That includes several B-complex vitamins. Research shows that when brewer’s yeast was added to the diet of animals deficient in the nutrients, stomach acid normalized.
5. Avoid drinking with meals or drink only enough to take medications or supplements. Water prematurely increases the pH of the stomach which neutralizes stomach acid and signals the body to move the food into the intestines—even if it is insufficiently digested.
6. Supplement with betaine hydrochloride. Avoid using this supplement if you are prone to ulcers. Many enzyme supplements also contain this ingredient.
Discover the natural remedies that improve digestion…