Mexi-Tofu Tacos and Salsa Fresca
For this week’s recipe, I’d like to share two recipes from Judi Davis, our Pantry Cook of the HeartMath Kitchen. These are two delightful, vegetarian recipes!
Judi, says, “I like food that is visually pleasing and filled with layers of flavor, like painting on a blank canvas. But instead of paint I use flavors and spices. Tofu is an empty palate and makes for a great blank canvas. I use a lot of flavors in the marinade which makes for a super flavorful tofu treat.” Judie continues to say, “I love people and I love feeding them. I put a huge amount of love into the food when I cook. It makes me happy when people are nourished by the food that I’ve made for them.”
Tacos are a perfect food because there’s a great balance of complex carbohydrates, protein and vegetables. And marinated tofu is a great taco ingredient. Top it with the Salsa Fresca and prepare for a wonderful taco experience!
1 14oz. can black beans, not drained (add ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon cumin)
1 ½ cups shredded purple cabbage
1 cup shredded green cabbage
8 corn tortillas
Salsa Fresca (See next recipe)
1 lb. firm tofu
1 ½ cup olive oil
4 tablespoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
2 teaspoons chipotle powder or paste
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Mix marinade in bowl. Drain tofu and cut in ½ inch cubes. Place tofu in marinade. Refrigerate overnight or longer if you can.
- Make Salsa Fresca and set aside. (See recipe following this one.)
- Remove tofu from marinade with slotted spoon and cook in frying pan for 5-7 minutes or until tofu gets partially crispy but still partially soft, holding together.
- Place beans in small pot and add spices and heat on low simmer, no longer than 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In small frying pan heat corn tortillas until just slightly crispy.
- Stuff tortilla with a dollop of beans, a spoon of tofu and a sprinkle of cabbage & Salsa Fresca on top, and serve!
Total cooking time: 45 minutes
Salsa Fresca basically means “homemade salsa” and this one is simple and tasty! Use it on tacos or just plain with chips. You can also use a scoop added to mashed avocado to give you a zesty flavored guacamole.
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin
1 lemon, juiced
2 tomatoes, diced small
2 fresh jalapenos, de-seeded and minced
1 small red onion, minced
½ bunch cilantro, minced
Prepare all ingredients and mix in bowl. And serve!
Total cooking time: 15 minutes