13 Sex Secrets of Married Couples
Ever wonder how your sex life stacks up to that of other couples? Probably…but relentlessly quizzing friends, coworkers, and strangers on the subway can get a little awkward.
Good thing we have iVillage’s recently-released 2013 Married Sex Survey. Keep reading for some of the most intriguing findings from married men and women all over the country:
- 80% of men and 61% of women say they’re happy with their sex lives.
- Women think their husbands are less happy than they are—and for men, the opposite was true. Only 55% of women thought their husbands were happy with their sex lives, but 79% of men thought their wives were happy.
- 68% of men say they married the best sex of their lives, compared to 45% of women who said the same.
- What’s turning us on? For women, it’s feelings of love, followed by our partner taking initiative and our partner saying nice things.
- For men, it’s seeing their partner in sexy clothes, followed by feelings of love, and seeing their partner without clothes. Easy enough.
- Yaaaawwwwn. 54% of women and 68% of men said their sex life was predictable.
- The most predictable aspect? For men, it was sexual position. For women? Location, location, location.
- Blame the kids for the lack of spontaneous kitchen sex! 52% of women and 49% of men said they had hotter sex before having kids. Though about a third say there have been no changes post-kids…and 8% of women and 22% of men actually say sex has gotten better since they had kids. Way to go!
- Ever sexted? You’re not alone—about a third of married people have texted or emailed sexy messages. Men are more likely to do both, as well as being more likely to leave a sexy voicemail or Facebook note. Just remember to send a message, not a wall post, guys!
- What’s on your sex wish list? 42% of men surveyed want their partner to initiate more and 41% want oral sex more often.
- Meanwhile, 35% of women are craving more foreplay, and 32% want their husbands to say more loving things.
- If you could have a freebie—an extra-marital affair with no chance of getting caught—would you take it? 32% of men and 13% of women said they would. As for who their freebie would be with, an old boyfriend tops the list for women, while men say either a hot celeb (good luck) or a friend’s spouse.
- Looks like the 50 Shades of Grey effect is real! A fifth of men and women surveyed have read the book, and 65% of ‘em say their sex life has changed as a result—with more foreplay, more sex, more sexy lingerie, more toys in the bedroom, and more discussion about fantasies and desires. We’ll be right back, heading to the library…