Some of the best healing remedies to overcome inflammation also taste fabulous (I can’t say that about any prescription medications). Plus, foods won’t cause the nasty side effects common to most pain medications.
1. Blueberries: Blueberries are also excellent anti-inflammatory foods. They increase the amounts of compounds called heat-shock proteins that decrease as people age. When heat-shock proteins are in short supply inflammation, pain and tissue damage is the result.
2. Cayenne Pepper: Ironically, cayenne pepper turns DOWN the heat on inflammation due to its powerful anti-inflammatory compound capsaicin.
3. Celery and 4. Celery Seeds: James Duke, Ph.D., author of The Green Pharmacy, found more than 20 anti-inflammatory compounds in celery and celery seeds in his research, including a substance called apigenin, which is powerful in its anti-inflammatory action. Add celery seeds to soups, stews or as a salt substitute in many recipes.
5. Cherries: While many people opt for aspirin as their first course of action when they feel pain, Muraleedharan Nair, PhD, professor of natural products and chemistry at Michigan State University, found that tart cherry extract is ten times more effective than aspirin at relieving inflammation.
6. Dark Green Veggies: Veggies like kale and spinach contain high amounts of alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium. Both minerals help balance body chemistry to alleviate inflammation.
Read more: Aging, Alternative Therapies, Alzheimer's, Arthritis, Basics, Diet & Nutrition, Eating for Health, Food, General Health, Headaches, Healthy Aging, Michelle Schoffro Cook, Natural Remedies, Smart Shopping, Uncategorized, arthritis, Arthritis-Proof, berries, blueberries, cayenne, chili, chilies, Dr. Cook, fish, flax, flax oil, Flaxseeds, food, foods that fight inflammation, foods that fight pain, foods that heal, foods that heal inflammation, ginger, healing foods, health benefits of, health foods, healthy eating, herring, inflammation, mackerel, Michelle Schoffro Cook, natural inflammation relief, natural pain relief, nutrition, nutritional benefits of, omega-3, pain, reduce pain naturally, salmon, turmeric, walnuts, World's Healthiest News
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.