Before you take another sip of that aspartame-laden diet soda, here are 14 reasons to rethink that drink:
1. Only one year after aspartame was approved by the FDA, its own task force learned that some of the original data showcasing aspartame’s safety had been falsified to hide results showing animals fed aspartame had developed seizures and brain tumors. The artificial sweetener was never recalled.
2. Ironically considering its name and reputation as a “diet” drink, drinking diet soda is more likely to make a person fat. It is linked to a 34% increase of metabolic syndrome, along with its telling symptoms of high cholesterol and abdominal obesity. Just two cans of diet soda daily has been linked to a 500% increase in waist size.
3. Aspartame has been linked to the formation of various types of cancer. According to Randall Fitzgerald, author of The Hundred-Year Lie, some of the cancers linked to aspartame consumption include: brain, liver, lung, kidney and lymphoreticular cancer.
4. There is an increased risk (43%) of heart attack or stroke when a person drinks more than one diet soda daily.
5. According to the authors of the book Hard to Swallow: When a diet drink containing aspartame is stored at 85 degrees Fahrenheit for a week or longer, “There is no aspartame left in the soft drinks, just the components it breaks down into, like formaldehyde, formic acid, and diketopiperazine, a chemical which can cause brain tumors. All of these substances are known to be toxic to humans.”
6. A Harvard University study found that drinking diet soda daily doubles a person’s risk of kidney disease.
7. By 1991, the National Institutes of Health had cataloged 167 adverse effects linked to aspartame use. A year later, the US Air Force issued warnings to pilots not to fly after ingesting aspartame. By 1994 the UD Department of Health and Human Services had linked aspartame to 88 toxicity symptoms.
Keep reading to discover diet soda’s link to reproductive disorders, depression, and more…