Rubber bands are one of those things that you have lying around and don’t quite know what to do with. Wonder no more! Read on to discover some fun and practical ways to reuse rubber bands.
1. Bookmark. Rubber bands are a great bookmark because, unlike paper, there is really no risk that it will slip out. Wrap the band around the page you’re leaving off on to the cover of the book and voila!
2. Pen/Pencil Grip. Wrap some rubber bands around the place you like to hold your writing utensils for a nice, efficient grip.
Earlier: 19 Ways to Enjoy Arugula
Organizing & Efficiency
3. Organize Batteries Better. If you’re anything like me, you have a nice collection of batteries and little knowledge of which ones are actually charged. Take the guesswork out of it by grouping your batteries based on how much juice they have with colored rubber bands.
4. Keep Wires Sorted. Few things are more frustrating than a big tangled mess of wires and cords. To help alleviate this, wrap rubber bands around the particularly long cords to shorten them. You can also wrap the rubber bands around the entire mess of cables to keep them in place.
5. Mark Liquid Amounts. Rubber bands are a valuable tool for marking how much liquid you have left in a container that isn’t clear.
6. Use Less Soap. I have lived with many a liberal soap user, and it drives me crazy. You really don’t need that much handsoap, do you?! Quit wasting the stuff by wrapping a rubber band around the pump of the container.
Related: 12 Uses for Wire Hangers
Food & Kitchen
7. Keep Sliced Apples Fresh. Apple slices turn brown far too fast. But, with a rubber band, you can prevent that! Arrange the apple slices into the original shape of the fruit, and secure it with a rubber band.
8. Prevent Spoons from Sliding into Bowl. Prevent that pesky problem of the spoon falling into the bowl by placing a rubber band around the point where the spoon touches the bowl’s rim.
9. Keep Cutting Board Steady. Counter surface and cutting board surface just not getting along, and making it difficult to chop up your veggies? Remedy that by fastening a rubber band around each end of the cutting board to keep it steady.
10. Drink Markers. Never get confused about whose drink is whose by handing out colored rubber bands to party guests. Have your pals wrap the rubber bands around their glass.
See Also: 12 Surprising Uses for Mayonnaise
11. Give Brooms a New Life. Is your broom starting to get worn out and fray? No need to toss it and buy a new one: simply wrap a rubber band around the bristles, about halfway up.
12. Stop Candle Wax from Dripping. Stop wax from dripping onto your nice things by arranging a rubber band around the candle.
13. Fix Leaks. A quick, temporary way to fix a leak on a pipe or hose is by fastening a rubber band around the hole. Though this trick isn’t exactly a permanent solution, it’s a great way to slow it down in the meantime.
14. Open That Stubborn Jar. Tightly wrap a rubber band around the lid of the problem jar to get a better grip.