Turmeric is a versatile seasoning with lots of health benefits. Check out these delicious recipes with turmeric to get more of this vibrant yellow herb into your life!
Turmeric is getting a lot of cred lately as a superfood, and with good reason! It contains an oil called curcumin, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Some research even suggests that curcumin is a effective an anti-inflammatory as some over the counter medications, like ibuprofen.
Its anti-inflammatory properties are only the start of turmeric’s health benefits. There’s also research showing that it may support liver health, protect us from cancer, and support heart health.
One word of caution about turmeric: if you suffer from stomach ulcers, this herb may exacerbate them. If you are coping with ulcers, you may want to start with only a small amount of turmeric to see how it affects you or just steer clear. If you’re unsure, you can always speak with your doctor before trying these turmeric recipes!
If you like Indian or Ethiopian food, chances are you’re already getting a good amount of turmeric, but there are lots of ways to sneak this beneficial herb into your daily routine no matter what sorts of food you like to eat. Check out the recipes with turmeric below to get you started.
15 Recipes with Turmeric
1. Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup – Turmeric and lentils are basically soulmates.
2. Tofu Scramble – Turmeric is what gives the tofu an eggy yellow color in this delicious breakfast recipe.
3. Turmeric Milk – How cool is this? Get a healthy dose of turmeric in a cozy warm drink. Make this a vegan recipe by using maple syrup in place of the honey, if you like.
4. Roasted Sprouted Chickpeas with Turmeric and Chili – These make a yummy, healthy snack that’s a great alternative to potato chips or popcorn.
5. Sunshine Smoothie – This healthy smoothie recipe calls for fresh turmeric root.
6. Indian Fried Rice – Turn leftover brown rice into a healthy meal with plenty of turmeric.
7. Potato-Edamame Samosas – These make a great appetizer, or you can eat a couple as a hearty main dish.
8. Breakfast Tostadas – Warm tortillas stuffed with turmeric-spiked scrambled tofu? Don’t mind if I do!
9. Vegan Challah – Challah’s yellow color usually comes from eggs, but this recipe uses turmeric instead.
10. Baingan Aloo – This is an easy Indian eggplant and potato dish that’s delicious on its own or served over rice.
11. Raw Vegan Cheddar Ball – Vegan cheddar? YES! This vegan cheeseball gets its vibrant color from turmeric. Don’t knick it until you try it!
12. Warming Kale and White Bean Soup – Warm up on a chilly spring evening with this soup recipe starring flavors from marjoram and turmeric.
13. Cauliflower Velvet Soup – Another soup recipe starrring turmeric! This one’s rich, creamy, and sneakily healthy.
14. Millet and Quinoa Burgers – Get your veggie burger on with some extra health benefits.
15. Cheesy Butternut Kitchari – This yummy south Indian dish is warm and cozy.