If you’re looking to avoid toxic beauty ingredients, making your own DIY beauty recipes at home is a natural choice. The recipes below all use simple ingredients, many of which you probably have in your kitchen already.
Related Reading: 10 Toxic Beauty Ingredients to Avoid
Store-bought beauty products are so often chock full of harmful chemicals from allergens to carcinogens. Sussing out which ingredients are harmful and which are no big deal can be daunting at best. Just because something has a polysyllabic name doesn’t mean it’s harmful, but when you’re standing in the beauty aisle, you don’t tend to have the tools at hand to make an informed decision. You can opt out of that whole stressful mess by ditching the pre-packaged beauty supplies and making your own!
Feeling a little bit overwhelmed at the thought of making all of your own beauty supplies? Don’t feel like you need to!
Take a look at your medicine cabinet and the list below, and see which product or products you want to try making yourself. It’s OK if you have a lot left over! Don’t panic. Just head over to the Skin Deep Database to see how safe the products you’re using are and find safer alternatives for ones that aren’t so good. You can take control of your beauty routine with a combination of DIY ethic and research.
If you make one thing you’re doing better than you were before. I am of course a big advocate of making things from scratch, but I am also a work-at-home mom to a toddler, so I understand that time is at a premium. My advice is this: Make what you can, and when you can’t make, research.
Ready to get making? Let’s do this!
15 Food-Based DIY Beauty Recipes
1. Simple Sugar Scrub – If you skip the essential oils in this body scrub recipe, you actually could eat it by the spoonful. I don’t recommend it, but in theory you could and be totally safe.
2. Two-Ingredient Tomato Scrub – Tomatoes have natural acids that make them great for treating acne-prone skin.
3. Coconut Oil Makeup Remover – Coconut oil has tons of useful beauty applications, so you’ll see it quite a few times on this list.
4. Coconut Oil Hair Mask- See what I mean? This is a once-in-a-while deep conditioning hair mask that works beautifully on dry hair.
5. Tropical Fruit Facial – Get ready for summer with a tropical fruit facial!
6. Dry Shampoo – A dry shampoo helps keep your hair from getting too greasy if it’s been a while between washings.
7. Pumpkin-Brown Sugar Body Scrub – This exfoliating body scrub smells good enough to eat!
8. Coconut Oil Hand Lotion – OK, so this isn’t technically a recipe, because there’s nothing to mix. I got really into this over the cold, dry winter. Just massage a tiny amount of coconut oil onto your dry hands for instant moisture that smells great!
9. Strawberry Foot Scrub – Get this recipe plus 7 other strawberry beauty recipes!
10. Almond Exfoliator – This is great for exfoliating your face and body. This Rawsome Life has that recipe plus a handful of other edible beauty recipes.
11. Avocado Lemon Hair Mask – This might sound like the makings of guacamole, but this recipe nourishes your hair instead of your belly.
12. Soothing Deodorant – Herb-infused oils are the superstars in this DIY deodorant recipe.
14. Coconut Milk Shampoo – This recipe calls for baby shampoo, but castile soap like Dr. Bronner’s would work well, too.
15. Rosemary Mint Shaving Cream – Another coconut oil recipe, this time for shaving.
Do you have any favorite food-based DIY beauty recipes or tips? I’d love to share more ideas in the comments!