15 Easy Vegan Main Dishes
Eating vegan is easy enough when you have plenty of time to cook, but what about those busy weeknights? Just like any other type of cooking, there are plenty of quick, easy vegan main dishes that you can whip up when you’re short on time!
I have heard so many times from folks at potlucks and parties that they would have brought a vegan dish but they didn’t have time to make one. It’s easy to see where you can get the misconception that vegan cooking takes a long time. Soaking nuts overnight for cashew cheese, for example, isn’t difficult, but if you forget to start soaking them the night before, you can’t always wait for 4-8 hours for them to do their thing.
The trick to quick vegan cooking is pretty much the same as the trick to quick any-kind-of-cooking: sometimes, you do a little less from scratch, or you find recipes that don’t involve complicated ingredients.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by
Image Credit: photo by Becky Striepe
Easy Vegan Main Dishes
1. Hearty Homestyle Spaghetti – Even the kiddos will like this simple recipe, and it even sneaks in a healthy serving of veggies!
2. Stirbake – This is the lazy man’s stir fry. Instead of standing over the stove, you pop everything into the oven for about a half hour.
3. Bowl of Stuff – I was thrilled when Natalie shared this recipe on her blog. It’s something I’d been making several times a week. I called it a Mashed Potato Bowl, but her recipe has even more options!
4. Parsley Pesto – Pesto is such a simple sauce, and you can serve it tossed with veggies, cooked or canned beans, and your favorite grain for an easy weeknight dish.
Related Reading: 10 Superfood Kale Recipes
5. Hazelnut Burgers – Who says veggie burgers have to be time consuming? If you’re in a big hurry, skip roasting the tomatoes in favor of sliced fresh tomato and even skip toasting the bun. The roasted tomatoes and toasted bun on this are delicious, but sometimes, you just need to get supper on the table!
6. Cauliflower and Chick Peas in Mustard Dill Sauce – This is a healthy weeknight meal that comes together super fast. Serve over your favorite grain, if you like!
7. Vegan Cheesy Rice – Cheesy rice is a family favorite around my house, and this recipe makes it super simple! To bulk this out into a meal, toss in some drained, canned beans and steamed broccoli or kale. If margarine isn’t your thing, you can sub in olive oil 1:1. I actually prefer this recipe with olive oil!
Image Credit: Photo by Becky Striepe
More Easy Vegan Main Dishes
8. Potato Soup with Kale and Mushrooms – A hearty soup is a great weeknight meal. Serve it up with some crusty bread, and you’re ready to eat!
9. Spicy Black Bean Tacos – Nothing says easy – and fun! – like taco night! You can assemble these yourself or put all the fixings out and let your family build their own. I vote for the latter!
10. Chickpea Flour Pancakes – Chickpea flour, or besan, is a gluten free flour often used in traditional Indian cooking. Kittee shares this awesome, versatile recipe for savory pancakes that’s perfect for a busy weeknight!
11. Chickenless Nuggets – These are great for kids! They use chickpeas and vital wheat gluten as the base, so they’re much healthier than the super processed vegan nuggets you can buy at the store.
Related Reading: 5 Seasonal Vegan Soup Recipes
12. Spinach Mango Pepitas Salad – Of course, vegans don’t just eat salads, but you can’t deny that a salad is a quick meal to assemble! Round out this tasty salad with some crusty slices of bread with olive oil – or extra dressing! – for dipping.
13. Avocado Corn Cups – Talk about decadent! Creamy avocado stuffed with a hearty mix of corn and veggies is a yummy, filling supper. Use pita triangles to scoop up the extra corn mixture, if you need a little bit more to your meal.
14. Easy Red Beans and Rice – A little taste of Louisiana! This recipe uses the food processor to reduce both chopping and cooking times.
15. Ginger Tempeh Burgers – What I love about this veggie burger recipe is that there’s no blending or mashing of dough. The tempeh is the burger!