15 Surprising Uses for Seltzer & Club Soda
Have some extra seltzer or club soda in the fridge? Put it to good use with these helpful and surprising tips!
In case you’re wondering, seltzer and club soda aren’t the same thingóseltzer is†nothing more than carbonated water, while club soda has a few added mineral-like ingredientsóbut they can be used interchangeably!
Related: 12 Surprising Uses for Safety Pins
1. Clean Porcelain & Stainless Steel. Club soda/seltzer is the perfect cleaning agent for porcelain. Clean away with a soft cloth and wipe dry to prevent water stains.
2. Clean Cast Iron. Pour some seltzer/club soda on your cast iron and let it sit for a while. The carbonation will help clean up the rust.
3. Clean Surfaces. Apply seltzer/club soda to countertops and other surfaces and gently scrub with a soft cloth. No harsh chemicals needed!
4. Clean Your Car’s Windshield. Sometimes windshield wipers just aren’t enough. Always be prepared with a spray bottle of seltzer/club soda to keep your car’s windshield clean.
Related: Skim Milk Doesn’t Do a Body Good
5. †Make Fluffier Pancakes. Skip the milk or water when you’re making pancakes, and use club soda/seltzer instead. Why? Well, the carbonation will help give make the pancakes lighter and airier. Yum!
6. Make Tempura Batter. Who doesn’t love tempura? Make takeout at home with the help of some club soda or seltzer.
7. Perfect Your Matzoh Balls. Just as club soda/seltzer will make pancakes fluffier, it’ll do the same for matzoh balls.
8. Make Your Scrambled Eggs Fluffier. You may think a few splashes of milk will make scrambled eggs fluffy, but it can be achieved with some carbonated water — who knew?!
Related: What’s Your Fiber IQ? (Quiz!)
9. Restore Dyed Hair. Did a trip to the pool damage your dyed hair? Quickly rinse with seltzer/club soda to return it to its previous luster.
10. Clean Precious Gems. Get your gems lookin’ pretty by cleaning them with seltzer/club soda. Let them soak in a glass of the stuff overnight.
11. Remove Clothing Stains. Pour seltzer/club soda on clothing stains and gently scrub.
12. Soothe Your Stomach. Sipping on seltzer/club soda is a great way to soothe an upset stomach. Add a few dashes of bitters if you like!
More Great Uses
9. Feed Your Plants. Give your plants a mineral boost — but make sure that it’s flat seltzer/club soda.
10. Remove Urine Stains. Accidents do happen. Blot up as much of the urine as possible with a paper towel, pour some seltzer/club soda on the stain, and then blot again. Not only will it help remove the stain, but it’ll also help remove the odor.
11. Free a Rusty Screw. Can’t remove a screw because it’s rusted over? Remedy that by pouring some club soda/seltzer and letting it sit for about 5 minutes. The carbonation will eat away the rust.
12. Preserve a Newspaper. Newspapers tend to yellow and fade over time — unless you preserve them. Mix one capful of milk of magnesia into one quart of seltzer or club soda. Let it sit overnight and then, the next day, soak the clipping in the mixture for about an hour. Blot dry.