Broccoli season is fast approaching; are you counting down the days — I know I am! In the meantime, let’s take a look at 15 delicious, versatile and interesting ways to prepare broccoli. Have your own favorite broccoli recipe? Tell us about it in the comments.
1. Simple Pasta & Broccoli
- 1 pound pasta, penne, orrechiette, fusilli or any small shaped pasta
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecorino or parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- red chili flakes to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add broccoli and cook until just tender. Remove broccoli from pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add pasta to the same pot and cook according to package directions. When the pasta is al dente, reserve about 1/2 cup pasta water and strain pasta. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium. When oil is simmering, add chopped garlic and desired amount of red chili flakes. Cook for one minute, or until fragrant. Add broccoli and stir in oil so it’s well-coated. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until the broccoli is fully tender.
4. Pour cooked pasta into skillet and toss to coat. Sprinkle pecorino over noodles, and slowly incorporate reserved pasta water to make sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Recipe Adapted From: Serious Eats