1. Roasted Eggplant & Kale Pasta.
- 2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 Eggplant, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 Ounces whole wheat penne or other short pasta
- 1 Punch kale, washed, ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Ounces feta cheese (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon torn fresh oregano
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon oil over eggplant chunks, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange chunks on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for about 15 minutes, or until they are soft and just lightly browned.
2. While the eggplant is roasting, cook pasta in salted water according to the package’s directions, until just al dente. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water before straining. Transfer penne to a large bowl.
3. In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat remaining olive oil. Add red pepper and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add kale, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 3 minutes, until wilted and softened. You may need to work in batches.
4.Add pine nuts, eggplant and kale to bowl with pasta and toss. Add in about 1/4 cup of the cooking water at a time until you get your desired consistency. Transfer to serving bowls, garnish with oregano and serve with feta.
Recipe Adapated From: Clean Eating.