Grapes have long had an essential place on dinner tables across the globe, but they’re usually found in our glasses, not on our plates. And that’s a shame, because the fruit is a wonderful, versatile ingredient that has a place in any kitchen. From Spanish soups to easy desserts, click through to check out some great ways to use grapes.
1. Ajo Blanco – White Garlic Soup
Add a little Spanish flare to your next dinner party.
- 10 Cups 1 1/4-inch cubes peeled English cucumbers
- 4 1/2 Cups green grapes, stemmed
- 3 Cups 1-inch cubes crustless sourdough bread
- 1 1/3 Cups slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 1/3 Cups plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 Cup Sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1/3 Cup champagne vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons almond oil (optional)
- 1/2 Teaspoon honey
- 1/2 Cup 1/4-inch cubes crustless sourdough bread
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt
- 16 Green grapes, halved
- 16 Red grapes, halved
- 1/2 Cup 1/4-inch cubes English hothouse cucumber, unpeeled
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
1. In a large bowl, add cucumbers, grapes, bread, almonds and garlic. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoon salt to toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered for 12-24 hours, so the flavors can meld.
2. Place cucumber-grape mixture, including any accumulated juices in a blender or food processor, and puree until the mixture is very smooth. Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve placed in a large bowl and strain. Add yogurt, oils, vinegars, and honey vigorously whisking to combine. Return to the refrigerator and chill for about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, season with salt and toss to coat. Bake croutons for 7-8 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
4. When serving, transfer to soup bowls and season with salt to taste. Divide sliced grapes, cucumber, chives, almonds and croutons among soup bowl. Finish by drizzling a little oil.
Recipe Credit: Bon Appetit.