12. Try this great trick for making stock. Place all of the ingredients in a metal pasta insert. Put it in the pot, and cook. Remove the insert when the stock is done.
13. Save the rinds of parmesan and romano cheese. Add to stocks and soups to boost the flavor.
14. To intensify the flavor of dried herbs, crush them and soak them in hot water for a few seconds before you use them.
15. Salt pasta water just as it is starting to boil. Always. 1-2 tablespoons per pound should do it, and, because most of the salt will not be absorbed by the pasta, it’s not a huge hit on your health.
16. For great, rich pasta sauces, set aside about 1/4 cup of the (salted!) pasta water before draining. When you’re stirring the pasta and sauce, add a little bit of the water at a time.