START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good

2011 Tax Tips for Family Caregivers

Tip #2: File a “Multiple Support Declaration”

Another possible deduction comes into play when there are multiple siblings giving support for a parent. In this case, as long as a sibling provides at least 10 percent of the support and the combined support of all siblings makes up half of their parent’s annual expenses, the parent could be claimed as a dependent. However, only one sibling can take the exemption for the parent. An agreement needs to be reached each year as to which sibling will take the exemption on their return. The sibling taking the exemption will need to file Form 2120, Multiple Support Declaration, and have all of the other siblings sign the form claiming that they will not take the exemption on their own return.

Financial Planning Tips for Caregivers

Tip #3: Determine if you are eligible for a dependent-care credit.

As a family caregiver, you may be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Credit if you paid someone else to care for your elderly parent so you were allowed the opportunity to work or look for work. If eligible, you would be allowed a credit of up to 35 percent of the expenses paid for dependent care with the maximum amount of expenses being $3,000. This means the tax credit can be worth up to $1,050. To be eligible, you (and your spouse if filing jointly) must have earned income during the year, and the care recipient must be unable to physically or mentally care for him or herself. Care recipients must also be claimed as a dependent (if the recipient’s income is under $3,700) on the caregiver’s tax return, and you must identify all persons or organizations that provide care, according to the qualifications listed on IRS Form 2441.

9 Warning Signs Your Parentís Finances Are Off Track

Tip #4: Deduct your parent’s medical costs.

If you were not able to claim your elderly parent as a dependent because his/her gross income was more than $3,700, there may still be a chance to receive tax savings this tax year. Medical expenses may be deducted on your tax return, along with your own expenses, for dependents and for individuals that would have been a dependent, except for the income guidelines. The IRS allows caregivers to deduct costs incurred from a parent’s health care, such as hospitalization, prescription drugs, dental care and even long-term care services.

A complete list of deductible medical expenses is available in IRS Publication 502: Medical and Dental Expenses. The deduction is limited to medical expenses that are in excess of 7.5 percent of the caregiver’s adjusted gross income (AGI). So in the case where a caregiver makes $50,000 in 2011, the caregiver would not be able to receive any deductions until medical bills accumulating to $3,750 have been paid.

List of medical expenses that can be written off

An Overview of Estate Taxes
How Does Living in Assisted Living or Nursing Home Affect Taxes?
What Caregivers Need to Know About the Dependent Care Credit

2011 Tax Tips for Family Caregivers originally appeared on Visit for more information on†Tax Tips for Caregivers.

Read more: Aging, Caregiving, Family, Money, Uncategorized, , , , , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love connects family caregivers and provides support, resources, expert advice and senior housing options for people caring for their elderly parents. is a trusted resource that visitors rely on every day to find inspiration, make informed decisions, and ease the stress of caregiving.


+ add your own
12:57AM PDT on Apr 8, 2013

It's good to post updated tips every year since the tax laws always seem to be changing. Thanks.

12:03PM PST on Mar 6, 2013


1:16PM PST on Feb 12, 2013


4:56AM PST on Feb 20, 2012

Good article, carers need all the help they can get - MANY THANKS.

1:55AM PST on Feb 18, 2012

Thanks for the article.

12:14PM PST on Feb 17, 2012

Thanks, good info.

10:08AM PST on Feb 17, 2012

This is great info to know. There are a lot of people out there who care for their elderly parents that can't afford hospice care or to be placed in a nursing home for care. Thank you for this information!

7:20AM PST on Feb 17, 2012

Thanks It would work for us untill it came to the family signing any papers declaring they are not taking the deduction.

4:34AM PST on Feb 17, 2012


10:39PM PST on Feb 16, 2012

Thanks. This will help alot of people.

add your comment

Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking


Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.

site feedback


Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!