Ties, whether striped or paisley, sell well around Father’s Day, but does dad really want — or even need — another tie to add to his wardrobe? I recently surveyed dads about ties as the standard default gift for grown men, and really, unless it is one spectacular power tie, he would rather not receive another one for Father’s Day, Christmas or his birthday for that matter. So what would dad like for Father’s Day? Here are some suggestions from dads across the country:
1. Detail his car. You can do this yourself (it does make a great family project) or pay a professional to shine dad’s wheels.
2. Sporting event or concert tickets.
3. Videoscreen Microscope — super cool and fun for the whole family.
4. Massage certificate. Most dads would not treat themselves to a massage but if given a certificate, most would delightfully accept the royal treatment.
5. Chocolate tool set — the tool set you can eat!
6. Shine all of Dad’s shoes and add new laces.
7. Giant outdoor inflatable movie screen — great for family movie night on warm summer evenings.
8. 4D Cityscape puzzle from National Geographic — great hands-on family project.
9. iPhone photo printer — a great way to share family photos.
10. Hammock. Need more be said?!