By Planet Green
We produce a lot of waste. In 2008 alone, Americans generated 250 million tons of trash, and though about a third of that was recycled, a lot went into landfills or was incinerated. Our culture is centered around disposability, and only we have the power to change that.
Take stock of the disposable, overly-packaged, and single-use products that you use, and then look for reusable alternatives. Not sure where to start? Here are more than two dozen items that many people use . . . and can easily live without.
25 Wasteful Things You Can Live Without:
- Tin foil — Use an oven-safe pot or dish with a lid.
- Plastic wrap — Instead, use a container with a lid.
- Disposable cleaning cloths, dusters, etc. — Use a microfiber cloth that can be washed.
- Paper towels — Use a tea towel, instead.
- Disposable pens — Buy a good pen that only needs the ink well changed.