Uses for coffee in the garden
14. Use coffee grounds as a non-toxic, fully degradable fertilizer. Coffee grounds are a good source of nitrogen, calcium, magnesium, potassium and other trace minerals. While you need to be aware that not all plants love coffee, such as tomatoes, most are enriched by the added nutrients.
15. Coffee grounds are an excellent nutritional addition to compost.
16. Use as a non-toxic bug repellant. Use a solution of coffee to spray your plants. The smell is too strong for most bugs. You’ll need to re-apply after a rain.
17. Use coffee grounds to keep cats from digging and pooping in your garden. Not only are cat feces bad for your plants, I personally hate the experience of accidentally scooping some up with my hands while gardening.
18. Use coffee grounds to deter slugs and snails. Both the smell and the abrasive surface help keep these pests out of the garden.
19. Coffee can add nutrients to acid-loving plants such as azaleas and roses. Simply pour any left-over coffee around the base of the plant. Hometalk, a home improvement social network, member John H. of Clermont, FL said, “Coffee is acidic. Roses flourish in soil with a pH around 6.5. Adding coffee will raise the pH.”
20. Kill ants outdoors too. Just place grounds on the hills.
A word on worms: they love coffee as much as we do. Theory suggests that besides the caffeine, the bacterium that grows on the many-sided grounds is not only a food source, but adds grit to their digestive system allowing them to digest better. Coffee-eating worms reproduce faster, which is great for oxygenating our gardens and compost. So, in terms of worms, you can:
21. Work grounds into the soil.
22. Place grounds into your compost.
23. Mix grounds and soil to help keep fishing bait alive longer.
24. Putting your bait worms in moist coffee grounds helps to mask human odor.
Uses for coffee as a beauty aid
25. Rub grounds through hair and rinse to add softness and shine.
26. Add highlights to brown hair by soaking in coffee.
27. Use grounds as a facial scrub or mask.
So drink up and enjoy the many benefits that come even after your cup is empty.