START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

4 Reasons Why Your Damp House is Wrecking Your Health

4 Reasons Why Your Damp House is Wrecking Your Health

A little leak isn’t something to ignore. Although you might not notice immediate water damage, mold growth and bacterial growth can begin within 24 – 48 hours of a moisture intrusion. Damp houses have been proven beyond any doubt to cause respiratory illnesses, and a host of other illnesses, too. “Moisture in homes has been identified again and again to be associated with respiratory problems and other detrimental health to people within homes,” said Dr. Richard Shaugnessy, director of the Clean Air Program at the University of Tulsa. “There’s mold, there’s bacteria, and the dampness is more conducive to having more pests in the home.”

“Along with that, dust mites are more inclined to be in a home with higher humidity and moisture. There’s a whole host of agents that may be responsible for the health effects related to moisture,” he said.

Here are the top 4 reasons to nip moisture and dampness in your home in the bud:

  • Bacteria: Moisture is the prime breeding ground of bacteria. No amount of anti-bacterial cleaning products can compensate for a damp house. Bacterial colonies grow on damp organic matter, like wall boards and floorboards.
  • Pests: Dr. Patrick Breysse, Director Industrial Hygiene Program at Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health, said, “When there’s a lot of water damage in a home, there’s higher mouse allergens, there’s higher cockroach allergens. We find that these types of homes in general are not healthy environments for asthmatic kids.” Cockroach and rat waste material is a known trigger of asthma, and these pests flourish in damp environments.
  • Dust mites: If you’re allergic to dust mites, you’re all too familiar with the stuffy nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, respiratory problems and even asthmatic symptoms that they cause. Dust mites thrive in warm, moist environments. According to a University of Nebraska fact sheet, dust mites thrive in temperatures around 80 degrees F, and humidity levels above 60 percent. Keep your house at below 50 percent humidity to stop dust mite growth. Air conditioning has proven to be helpful to people with dust mite allergies, as it simultaneously cools and dehumidifies the air.
  • Mold: “The underlying public health message is that we know that people get sick from living and working in damp spaces. The things that make them sick all relate to dampness. Mold — the smell, the visibility of mold — becomes an indicator,” said Dr. Harriet Amman, a toxicologist and affiliate professor at the University of Washington. An emerging body of data suggests that mold itself can cause respiratory illnesses and allergic reactions. However, “Whether the illness is directly a result of mold and exposure to mold, or whether it is a result of mold and other biota that are encouraged to grow because there’s water is not as straightforward to answer,” said Paula Schenk, a Clinical Instructor in the UCHC Department of Community Medicine and Health Care. Mold might be making you sick, or it might just be an indication of a moisture problem.

Often we look to quick fixes for moisture problems. There’s no silver bullet for moisture removal. If you see mold growth, you need to eliminate the source of moisture and remove the damp material. The best way to prevent damp walls and floorboards is to avoid condensation. Vent your bathroom, vent your kitchen, and vent your dryer to the outside. If you can’t afford a venting system, open a window until all the steam disappears. If you notice a leak or water intrusion, fix the problem and dry the wet material immediately. You can take a stand against respiratory illnesses by stopping moisture in its tracks.

Related:
How Your Home Affects Your Health
10 Cancer-Causers to Remove from Your Home

Read more: Health & Safety, Home, Non-Toxic Cleaning, ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Selections from Networx

Networx.com empowers people to make educated, economical and Earth-friendly renovation and home repair choices. We are a community of homeowners, renters and contractors who are committed to sharing home improvement expertise and experience.

50 comments

+ add your own
9:11PM PDT on Sep 18, 2013

Yuck! Thank you for info.

9:10PM PDT on Sep 18, 2013

Yuck! Thank you for info.

7:46AM PDT on May 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing.

1:26PM PST on Jan 14, 2012

I have a terrible problem with dampness and mold in my house...aaack!

4:15PM PDT on May 27, 2011

Yikes

4:18AM PST on Jan 6, 2011

My house is terrible for that, but no matter how many times I tell the landlord we need to fix the ventallation in the bathroom and kitchen (most of our windows are stuck shut) , she just paints the walls over again and thinks that'll do :-S

3:49AM PST on Dec 31, 2010

I'll be passing along this article to my daughter...she's trying to get her landlord to fix her moldy basement.

12:48PM PST on Nov 16, 2010

I am trying to think of some way to sneak this article into my husband's email account. He needs to see this.

7:53PM PDT on Sep 13, 2010

I'm curious about Anne Eastman's comment about the child diagnosed with possible whooping cough. Last year I was working at a dog kennel (I'm a groomer) that didn't have central heat or air. This was also a very dirty building--hadn't been cleaned properly for at least 6 months. (It's a long story! Just go with the premise!) I started in March when the temps were in the 20s, even though we were in Atlanta. I cleaned up as best I could with the inadequate materials available, and in April I finally got the receptionist (who was supposed to be maintaining the place) to join in & we cleaned even more of the area. This was a BIG building, too. The owner was, let's see, ahem, a bit of an idiot, you see, hence the lack of proper cleaning material. I think the best we had was Pine Sol--which is a good cleaner in ordinary circumstances. Just as I was going to surrender, quit, and look for a better job full-time, in May I came down with the symptoms of whooping cough. For a whole month I was suffering that horrible, horrible cough. Couldn't afford a doctor. (Couldn't go job hunting, either.) A new receptionist also came down with it. Thing is, the year before I'd been vaccinated against w.cough & diptheria in a tetanus shot. Was it spring warmth growing the mold, which flourished, rat droppings, general filth, what? This year, in a rigourously well- kept kennel, I've been my usual healthy self. No real allergies, just a sensitivity to some perfumes, and trust me, dog grooming

5:28AM PDT on Sep 1, 2010

informative article.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

This made me smile. Such a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

I never use mine. Just a waste.

I have read about it, but haven't tried it yet...

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.