Do you eat white sugar?
I don’t and here’s why:
1. Sugar makes you FAT.
2. Sugar makes you NERVOUS.
3. Sugar depresses your immune system.
4. Sugar cause WRINKLES.
5. Sugar rots your teeth.
People seem to ignore these facts. Right now for example, there are more overweight people in the world than hungry people — more than one billion, according to the World Health Organization.
So why do we eat the darn stuff and what are the options?
Most of us enjoy sweets. It is natural to enjoy the sweet taste in naturally sweet foods like fruits, which are also good for us. (Learn more about eating carbs at Smart Carbs- Dumb Carbs and try out a sugar free recipe like Sugar Free Apple Sauce.)
The problem is that most people do not limit their sweet foods to fruit or grains. Too often it is a different sugar fix that many resort to.
Are You Dying to be Thin?
In 1878, someone at Johns Hopkins had a bright idea to develop a calorie-free sweetener called saccharin. Almost 100 years later, a warning label was finally required on all foods using saccharin:
“Use of this product may be hazardous to your health. This product contains saccharin, which has been determined to cause cancer in laboratory animals.”
That was the first artificial sweetener. Because it is big business though, there are now many artificial sweeteners on the market.
Five most common artificial sweeteners:
- Saccharin – (aka Sweet’N Low, Sugar Twin) is calorie-free because the body cannot break it down. It was found to increase bladder cancer in diabetics who used saccharin for years.
- Aspartame – (aka Equal, Nutrasweet) is one of the more common artificial sweeteners today. There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption (a few examples: hearing impairment, epileptic seizures, migraines, irritability, insomnia, shortness of breath, loss of hair and increased craving for sweets). It also worsens or mimics conditions such as fibromyalgia, MS, lupus, ADD, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s.
- Sucralose (aka Splenda) is a chlorinated artificial sweetener. There have been no long-term human studies on the safety of Splenda; however, issues have been raised about Splenda in a new study from Duke University showing that it will literally destroy all good bacteria in your gut, while increasing acidity which stimulates the growth of harmful bacteria and yeast. Research has shown it to cause shrunken thymus glands, enlarged liver and kidneys, reduced growth rate, decreased red blood cell count and diarrhea.
- Neotame has a similar structure to aspartame and appears to be even more toxic than aspartame. According to Dr. Janet Starr Hull, “It’s Just Aspartame Without the Warning.”
- Acesulfame-K – (aka Sunette, Sweet One, Sweet n Safe) is an unsafe chemical. There has been very little research done but studies have shown that it can produce lung and breast tumors, leukemia and chronic respiratory disease in rats.
Artificial sweeteners can also cause weight gain!
Yes it is true! Researchers at Purdue University found that an artificial sweetener makes your body less able to regulate energy. This explains why, when you are eating so little and exercising so much, you find you are STILL gaining weight.
Also, the body doesn’t recognize chemical sweeteners as food; it leaves the body feeling unfilled and seeking nourishment, thus increasing your craving for food. The main reason people consume these is to lose weight. Now do you really want to be consuming artificial sweeteners? I certainly do not! Since these artificial sweeteners came on the market, we have been seeing eating disorders on the rise among younger people.
Because of very clever advertising, we are to believe we can eat sugar-free foods without penalty. On the other side of this there is a fear that eating REAL food will cause weight gain.
Here is a great video: Are Equal (Nutrasweet) and Splenda BOTH Bad For You??
The body was designed to eat whole food, real food, not chemicals.
If you care about your health, my advice is to stay away from artificial sweeteners.
Here are more delicious sugarless recipes:
Wishing you increasing health!
Learn How to Cook and Bake With Healthy Sugars:
I am so passionate about getting off unhealthy sugar that I offer Healthy Online Trainings where you get focused support in eating perfectly balanced healthy meals. These include sugar and gluten free baking and even a Healthy Chocolate Project!
These includes shopping lists, menus, video training, plus personal and group support. Sometimes just knowing what to do is not enough. A person has to feel confident enough to do it easily.