By Cory Couillard for YourTango.com.
Sex life a little lacking? Spice things up with these five super foods:
1. Seeds & Nuts. Almonds and walnuts contain the necessary healthy fats and nutrients that are required in the production of sex hormones. Without these critical nutrients one can experience depression and can negatively affect mood, desire and focus.
More from YourTango: Can A Couple Be Happy Without Sex?
Almonds have been described as a sexual stimulant but has also been found to reduce infertility and miscarriages. These nutrient-dense nuts also provide critical minerals such as selenium, zinc and provide a great source of vitamin E.
2. Citrus Fruits. Citrus fruits such as grapefruits, oranges and added lemon to your water can boost your confidence and performance in bed. According to several studies vitamin C has been found to improve overall sperm health in men and decrease the risk of infertility in both sexes.
More from YourTango: The Best Sex Advice
Citrus fruits provide a boost of antioxidants and glucose for improved focus, enhanced mood and decreased impact of stress hormones that can kill an erection and the moment.
3. Berries. Berries can be one of the most sensual foods for both men and women. Strawberries contain high amounts of folate and vitamin C. These powerful nutrients will enhance your thoughts, your actions and your performance.
How creative you are with your berries may indicate how creative you are sexually. Blueberries, raspberries and blackberries all make perfect teasers that can drive your partner over the edge. You can dip those berries in chocolate for added stimulation to your pleasure centers.
More from YourTango: When Food is Love: 7 Expert Ways to Combat Emotional Eating
4. Dark Chocolate. Eating chocolate may be music to your ears and send you to a state of bliss. Dark chocolate is a sensual food that can not only trigger the mood but also the brain chemicals needed for sex. The brain chemical serotonin can directly produce feelings of pleasure. Dark chocolate also contains arginine and flavinols that can create a Viagra like effect.
5. Avocados. Avocados are one of the healthiest foods on the planet. They are loaded with healthy fats that will stimulate fat loss, balance hormones and pack a powerful aphrodisiac effect. Avocados are a super food for your brain, heart and most importantly the blood vessels in the action areas.
This article originally appeared on YourTango.com: 5 Foods That Will Actually Improve Your Sex Life.