Caffeine’s the worst, and its effect can last up to 10 hours, so steer clear of coffee, tea, sodas, chocolate and other foods that contain caffeine after lunchtime. Some other foods have a similar sleep-disrupting effect. Avoid these five sleep saboteurs:
– Sugar. It’s the worst; it prompts the brain to release stress hormones that block sleep, and causes blood sugar fluctuations that can wake you in the wee hours.
– Chocolate. In addition to caffeine, it’s high in theobromine, a stimulating plant compound.
– Red wine contains sleep-disrupting alcohol, as well as tyramine, an amino acid that increases the brain’s levels of stimulating neurotransmitters.
– Aspartame is worse than sugar; like monosodium glutamate (MSG), it encourages the release of excitatory nerve transmitters that can keep you up all night.
– Spicy foods like garlic, ginger and hot peppers are way too warming and stimulating to eat before bed.
For better, faster and deeper Zs, ease yourself into sleep with these soothing snacks…