By Lacy J. Hansen for DietsInReview.com
It’s only a few weeks until moms and dads will be packing nutritious lunches for their kids each morning, something that can be a bit of a challenge for some parents. The challenge is more daunting for those parents whose children have food allergies, like gluten. For kids with gluten allergies or Celiac disease their choices for kid-friendly snacks aren’t typically very interesting. However, there are more and more great gluten-free products available. Not only are they gluten free and nutritious, but they are fun. Our children with allergies no longer have to feel left out while eating plain snacks.
We found a few great tasting, gluten-free lunch box snacks that should be at the top of your back-to-school list.
1. Annie’s Organic Fruit Snacks: With four fruity flavors, Annie’s snacks are gluten free, certified organic, free of artificial colors, made with real fruit juice, contain 100% of a child’s daily vitamin C needs, are vegan and free of gelatin. Rarely are those claims a fruit snack can make.
2. EnviroKidz Organic Crispy Rice Bars: These yummy snack bars are available in five flavors like peanut butter and chocolate. The primary ingredient is organic gluten-free rice, while the others are wholesome and delicious. Fun for kids is that each flavor has its own animal “mascot.”
3. Blue Diamond Nut Thins Crackers: Crackers are traditionally made of wheat, making it hard to find a gluten-free brand. Nut Thins are the perfect solution. Available in eight flavors, like sea salt and barbecue, they are completely gluten free and, because of their nut-based ingredients, also provide protein.
4. Larabar: Available in a variety of flavors like cashew cookie to cherry pie, there is no chance you’ll call them bland. Larabars are made of unsweetened fruits, nuts and spice, are considered a 100% whole food, and each flavor has no more than nine ingredients.
5. Snikiddy Fries and Puffs: These corn-based snacks are baked fries that are available in six fun flavors, like “Sea Salt” and “Classic Ketchup.” There are also cheese puffs offered in two kid-friendly flavors – “Mac & Cheese” and “Grilled Cheese.” These crunchy snacks don’t have preservatives or corn syrup, they are peanut and nut free, vegan, and, of course, gluten free.