Last week’s article revealed the top 5 foods to avoid in 2014. These five are close behind and in some cases even more deadly.
Do yourself a favor and instead, choose from the thousands of healthy foods and powerfoods on this planet.
1. Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn
Why: Unhealthy Chemicals
The chemical coating in microwave popcorn bags breaks down when heated, turning into a substance called perfluorooctanoic. Perfluorooctanoic is thought to be a cancer forming substance. – Environmental Protection Agency.
Artificial butter flavouring ingredient linked to key Alzheimer’s disease process.
Diacetyl, a chemical used in popcorn’s butter flavoring is so harmful to factory workers that it’s known to cause a debilitating respiratory disease called “popcorn workers lung.”
Solution: Pop Your Own and use real butter.
You can pop it on the stove top in a pot. When the kernels have popped, pour some melted organic butter over them.
Or try my Curried Popcorn. YUM.
2. Soda Pop
Why: Filled with sugar and chemicals.
Doctors and dietitians all agree that soda should be eliminated from your diet.
A study found that 12-year-old children who drank soft drinks regularly were more likely to be overweight than those who didn’t. – The Lancet
Sugar depresses your immune system, is full of fattening calories, has no nutrients and has been found to damage your brain in just one week.
- 1 can Coca-Cola Classic has almost 10 teaspoons sugar.
- 1 can Mountain Dew has 11.5 teaspoons sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup.
- Drinking just one can of Coke a day will add an extra 14.5 pounds per year.
- Contains phosphoric acid: which is almost as acidic as battery acid and depletes your calcium reserves
- Can contains sodium benzoate: a preservative which can switch off parts of your DNA.
Solution: Drink more water, fresh juice, lemon water, cold herbal fruit tea sweetened with stevia or a healthy punch made with sparkling mineral water.
Also, learn how to Stop Sugar Cravings, and learn how to Cook Healthy Meals.
3. Canned Tomatoes
Why: BPA Chemicals
The linings of the tin cans have a resin which contains bisphenol-A, or BPA. This is a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and even obesity.
Breast Cancer Fund publicized its test results on canned foods marketed to kids and found that Campbell’s soups had some of the highest levels.
The Food and Drug Administration has acknowledged there may be good reason to be concerned; it supports efforts to replace BPA or minimize its levels in canned food.
“You can get 50 micrograms of BPA per liter out of a tomato can, and that’s a level that is going to impact people, particularly the young. I won’t go near canned tomatoes.” says Frederick vom Saal, PhD, professor of biological sciences, University of Missouri
Solution: Buy glass bottled tomatoes, or make your own canned tomatoes.
4. Artificial Sweeteners
Why: They do not work!
It was found that an artificial sweetener makes your body less able to regulate energy. – Purdue University.
If you are sensitive, you may notice they leave an awful taste in your mouth. Why would you want to put chemicals into your food? Read about the most common artificial sweeteners and their dangers.
Solution: Refined white sugar isn’t healthy. Replace it with small amounts of coconut sugar, honey, blackstrap molasses, and maple syrup, all of which have high levels of vitamins and minerals. Or if you would like no calories try a little stevia.
5. Store bought Salad Dressing
Why: Full of unhealthy fats, salts, sugars, artificial flavors and colors
We eat salads to be healthy. The problem is, the salad dressing can make the salad into an unhealthy meal. This is particularly true of store bought and cream-based dressings.
- They are usually full of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or sugar which also means lots of calories.
- They contain unhealthy oils, like refined canola oil.
- Some Caesar, or creamy balsamic dressings, use caramel coloring which has been linked to cancer.
- Creamy ones usually contain paint chemicals. They use titanium dioxide to make colors brighter and seem fresher. They can also have lead in them.
- Monosodium glutamate is added to increase the flavour. Studies finds using MSG can cause weight gain.
Worst salad dressings:
- Buttermilk Ranch from Ken’s Steakhouse is the unhealthiest: 2 tablespoons has 180 calories and 280 milligrams of sodium.
- Marie’s Blue Cheese Dressing: one serving contains 160 calories, 17 grams of fat and 160 milligrams of sodium.
Solution: Make your own with cold pressed olive oil and alkaline forming fresh lemon juice.
Here are a three of my favorite recipes:
Yogurt Salad Dressing a very healthy creamy dressing.
Tomato Dressing made with fresh tomatoes.
Light Lemon Olive Oil Salad Dressing is a healthy low calorie dressing.
You may already have eliminated these! If so, make sure others in your life know about these unhealthy foods.