By Sara Novak, Planet Green
One of the first steps that you should take in an economic slump is finding all the areas of fat and cutting them. I don’t mean going on a diet, well I sort of do, a utility diet. Do everything that you can to control your fixed expenses. That means downsizing your living space, transportation, cable bill, water bill, and electricity bill. Cutting your electricity bill can have a dramatic effect. Here are some quick and easy ways to downsize your electricity bill really fast:
- Plug everything into power strips and turn them off when you leave everyday.
- Control your thermostat and dress for economic success, which means heavier pajamas. Get under the blankets at night and turn the heat off if you can. You save $114 annually by adjusting your thermostat three degrees.
- Use candle light. It’s so much more relaxing and it doesn’t take any energy at all. If you’re just sitting around watching television turn off the lights and enjoy some soy candles.
- Don’t buy a television for every room. They suck up way too much energy.
- Use the most energy efficient appliances in the kitchen like the slow cooker instead of the stove. When compared to a conventional oven which uses 2.7 pounds of CO2 for one hour of use, a slow cooker uses .9 pounds of CO2 for seven hours of use. If you have the money, buy energy efficient appliances.