A year ago this month, I turned 50 for the first and last time. †I vividly remember being a little kid and doing the math and figuring out how old I would be when we got to the 2000s, but 50 seemed like an eternity. Well, I made it. And for my 50th last year I went to an island and wrote in my journal and thought about where Iíve been and where I want to go next, and I made this list. Since Iím about to turn 51, I thought Iíd revisit it. Itís still true for me! Hope you like it!
1. Always trust your nose. Listen to it. Obey it.
2. Hunger comes from many sourcesórarely the need for food.
3. Raising kids does not get easier as they grow up; it just gets†more complicated.
4. Always believe in love.†ALWAYS.
5. People will be†mean. Donít let it stop you.
6. Being mean makes you feel crappy. Donít do it.
7. Find your happy place and go there†often.
8. There are all kinds of sex and all kinds of sexual pleasure, but thereís only one kind that is truly satisfying, and thatís true love sex. Donít stop until you†find it, and if you do, try not to let it go.
9. Smile at everyone.
10. If you can, send your kids to sleep-away camp.†They will thank you forever.
12. God is in everything and†everyone, everywhere. The sooner we all believe that, the quicker there will be world peace.
13. There is no Satan.
14. Books are the†doorways to the universe.
15. Make sure you have an†awesome bed and you love it because you will be spending a lot of time in it sleeping, napping, reading, snuggling with kids, and hopefully, having great sex.
16. Further. Always push further.
17. Grudges take too much†energy to maintain. Forgive and forget.
18. All physical ailments are rooted in problems at the emotional, energetic, and spiritual level. The sooner you believe it and act on it, the faster and more fully†you will heal.
19. Seek the advice of experts.
20. But know when itís time to trust your own expertise.
21. Never be afraid†to create.
22. Most of the stuff you read in the news and gossip magazines is made-up lies or just one perspective on a complicated situation. Be careful what you believe based on it.
23. There are many different perspectives on any situation, and they are all valid to the people who hold those perspectives.
24. Children are like seeds we plant. Our job is to nurture and protect them, but not to control or change them. A carrot will always be a carrot, and not a†tomato.
25. Cashmere is a gift from God. (And itís OK to have a comfort item, even as a grown-up!)
26. Rain is good.
27. Nature is everything. Everything is nature.†We are nature. Technically, therefore, everything is natural.
29. If you pay attention and ask for help,†nature will tell you what you need to know, answer your questions, guide you, and heal you.
30. Believe in fairy tales because†you are living one.
31. We each create our own reality. You are the author of your story, so choose wisely†what you write.
32. Foreign movies are slower, but deeper and more interesting.†Sometimes. No, often.
33. Laugh a lot,†all the time. But be careful about using laughter to distract you from facing your pain or, worse, hurting others with your laughter. That is not funny.
34. Donít ever laugh at poets or poetry. I am†a poet.
35. The sooner you stop trying to be perfect or†find perfection, the sooner you will find it.
36. Actually, the sooner you stop trying to find anything, the†quicker you will find it.
37. Every single person has something to teach us and†share with us. Look for it.
38. Hard work is†sometimes overrated.
39. Home cooking is†never overrated.
40. Write it down or you will forget it.†You will!
42. You must let others make their own choices about choosing life. You canít choose for them.
43. If you do choose life, then you must find the courage to make the changes that will create happiness. Happiness doesnít just happen.†Itís a choice, too.
44. There are no rules.
45. EVERYTHING is precious. Treat it that way.
46. Youíll never see a shooting star if you donít go outside at night in the dark and look up!
47. Being in love is the best feeling in the universe. Be in love with everything.
48. Your body is your temple, your radio antenna, your car, your horse, your best friend. Take good†care of it.
49. Massages of all typesóand oftenóare not a luxury but†a necessity.