6 Pollutants That Threaten Our Health
If you’re looking to understand the epidemic of chronic illness in our world, you don’t have to look much further than the environment around you. To combat the problem you will need to be a part of the solution and though your Care2 membership is a good starting point, there is more you can do. Educate yourself, pass the information on to family and friends and take action where you can. It is not my intention to be a fear monger, but to remind you that as your life revolves around family and work there are actions at play in the world that threaten the peace of your existence. It is an interesting thing about industry, if they cannot get rid of their toxic waste then the unsuspecting public will just have to eat it, drink it or inject it into our bodies.
1. Organophosphate Pesticides: according to the Natural Resources Defense Council pesticides have been found to disrupt the human endocrine system, cause cancer and neurological disorders. They also cite a recent study linking 3 toxic and commonly used chemicals: herbicides, insecticides and fungicides, as possible causes of Parkinson’s disease.
2. Genetically Modified Foods: all the fuss to genetically alter our food is to create plants that are tolerant to Monsanto’s brand of herbicide. In this way high doses of the weed killer, Round-up can be used, while the GM trait acts as a pesticide. According to the Organic Consumers organization rats fed GM potatoes had smaller, partially atrophied livers and GM soy caused reproductive problems and infant mortality in test mice. Although no human clinical trials of GM foods have been conducted, one experiment verified that genetic material inserted in GM soy transfers into the DNA of the consumer’s intestinal bacteria and continues to produce GM proteins.
3. Environmental Radiation: because we cannot see it with our eyes does not mean that radiation isn’t present in our lives. Sources can include fallout from nuclear bomb tests, radiation from nuclear reactors, mines, mills and fuel fabrication plants, nuclear medicine, consumer products, military and industrial applications and nuclear waste management.
Next: 3 More Harmful Pollutants
4. Drug-resistant Bacteria: antibiotics have saved many lives since its discovery in 1927. However, antibiotic resistance has become the world’s most serious health concern due to bacteria becoming stronger and less responsive to treatment. Microbes in the human body become resistant to the drug, much like weeds become resistant to excessive pesticide use. You can’t fool Mother Nature after all. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), “Every time a person takes antibiotics, sensitive bacteria are killed, but resistant germs may be left to grow and multiply. Repeated and improper uses of antibiotics are primary causes of the increase of drug-resistant bacteria.”
5. Contaminated Vaccines: in 2006 the pharmaceutical company Bayer found that the vaccine it had distributed in the United States was contaminated with the HIV virus. Rather than destroy the batch Bayer pulled it from the US market and instead sold it to Asian and European countries. Vaccines continue to raise questions as to whether they are helping or just making our health worse. Everything from the high numbers of autistic children to the epidemic of autoimmune disease, Gulf War syndrome and ADHD are being blamed on vaccinations and Thimerosal, the mercury used to preserve the vaccine. According to the National Vaccine Information Center, mercury is a potent neurotoxin that can harm the brain, spinal cord, kidneys and liver and can affect a child’s brain in pregnancy, infancy and childhood.
6. Fluoride poisoning: found in products all around your home such as toothpaste, vitamins, dietary supplements, cleaning agents, insecticides, and drinking water. According to Dr. Paul Connett, the CDC should ban fluoride because it not only destroys young teeth, but damages the brain as well. In truth it is not an essential mineral, but a toxic waste byproduct foisted on the public by the phosphate mining industry. Rather than release fluorosilicic acid into the environment, causing widespread poisoning and contamination, it was sold to municipalities and added to the water supply. Makes sense.