Incandescent light bulbs will be phased out in 2014. Some will say bye-bye and good riddance, while others are still holding out for a mercury-free eco-alternative to CFL’s. But, there’s a new kid on the block that might fulfill everyone’s dreams.
General Electric has a new LED nine-watt bulb that is energy-efficient, has a 22,500 hour life span (twice the amount as a CFL), and to sweeten the pot even more, this bulb called the Energy Smart, will be healthier (see benefits below).
The catch: Start saving your pennies folks because this beauty costs $50.
Here are 6 reasons why you might be willing to pay more than you ever thought for a light bulb :
The Benefits of the Energy Smart LED Bulb:
1. It will last at least 17 years when used four hours a day.
2. It gives off light in all directions. It’s omnidirectional.
3. It uses 10 percent less energy than a 40 watt equivalent bulb.
4. There’s no mercury or other toxic junk floating around inside.
5. GE’s bulb has eight fins that run down the side. The bulb is designed to disperse light more evenly and take away heat, which is important for an LED to live a long life.
6. According to GE, if every American household bought just one, we’d save almost $400 million in energy costs and prevent 5 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions in one year.
Will this bulb be on your holiday list this year? Would you buy a $50.00 light bulb? Illuminate us with your thoughts about whether or not you think this is a green investment worth doling out your hard-earned bucks for.
Find out more about the Energy Smart LED Bulb.