START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

6 Shocking Pollutants In Your Home

The pollutant: Mold

Believe it or not, a little bit of mold can be beneficial: Outdoors, it helps organic stuff decompose, says indoor-air scientist Connie Morbach. “But when those mold spores are activated by indoor moisture, they can grow out of control,” she explains. Excess fungus can induce unpleasant symptoms like itchy eyes and breathing problems. And a few harmful strains can attack your immune system.

The solution: Indoor air that’s 30 to 50 percent humidity is comfortable for you but discouraging to mold (buy a $30 digital hygrometer at a hardware store to check your room levels). Spores love dark, damp corners, so once a week mop around your fridge, sinks, and toilets with a mild dish detergent or diluted hydrogen peroxide. Just be sure to dry everything thoroughly; mold can sprout in just 48 hours.

Related Links:
3 Ways to Kill Mold Naturally
The 7 Most Toxic Places to Live
5 Basics for Non-Toxic Cleaning

Read more: Children, General Health, Health & Safety, Home, Household Hints, Non-Toxic Cleaning, , , , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Rodale

Rodale.com is a new original source for daily news, information, and advice on personal and environmental health. Rodale.com focuses on “Where Health Meets Green” topics, providing daily news stories and breaking news along with easy-to-follow, high-impact tips and advice.

111 comments

+ add your own
8:32PM PDT on Aug 6, 2011

thanks

2:42PM PDT on Jul 7, 2011

Very good report, and a true report, the times I use my Ventolin inside my property it was unbelieveable,
When going outside in the town very rear I have to use my Ventolin,
on Sundays, afternoon I always go into the Countryside of Barlaston in Stoke-on-Trent, feels if I could rule the world, never have use the said Ventolin, however, when returning home, I am Dead to the world, that much Fresh Air in one go, does indeed knock me out at Night.
I am a sever Asthmatic.

2:39AM PDT on Jun 12, 2011

Shoes come off at the door. I only use candles in emergency cases, such as power outages, because they're less expensive than using up batteries on flashlights. The only other times I use candles are for birthdays and jack-o-lanterns.

12:58AM PDT on Jun 9, 2011

That's excellent info - very informative. I need to move away from living alongside a road that has far too much air and noise pollution - my lungs tell me this... my whole body reacts against the noise pollution. So enough is enough !

11:51AM PDT on Jun 8, 2011

I didn't know many of those, thank you!

3:25AM PDT on Jun 7, 2011

Thanks, that was a revelation! now I will be more careful about candles, wood furniture, dust, mold. I don't use printers ... another reason not to use it.

5:45PM PDT on Jun 4, 2011

Woah, never knew that about printers. I will be relocating mine. Thank you so much for this article.

7:36AM PDT on Jun 4, 2011

Thank you for the useful information. I didn't know about the furniture and printers.

6:44AM PDT on Jun 3, 2011

I kinda knew all of these except the printers dont have one at home but in my office. OMG am I going to die from working!

11:36PM PDT on Jun 2, 2011

thanks for sharing, i knew only 2 out of the 6 which make me think deeper again.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

It's all about preference I prefer women who wear little if any make-up Honestly, I don't know…

Felt the need to share this post with all the Care 2 members.I received a personal message from the …

It was only when I bought Belgium Milk chocolate that I appreciated it, but really only ever buy dar…

These are great ideas which I use

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.