7 Benefits of Laughter
Laughter truly is the best medicine. And, now science proves some of its many benefits. Here are seven reasons to laugh longer, harder, and more often:
1. In a recent study published in Geriatrics and Gerontology International, researchers found that laughter therapy reduced depression in the elderly patients they tested.
2. The same study also found that laughter improved sleep quality and reduced insomnia.
3. Laughter can reduce aches and pains for up to 45 minutes. In a study published in the Spanish journal Revista de Enfermeria, researchers found laughter caused reductions in chronic musculoskeletal pain.
4. Regular laughter improves the function of blood vessels while increasing blood flow, giving a boost to your cardiovascular health.
5. According to experts, sharing laughter with others helps create deeper bonds with them.
6. It is a proven stress-reliever, helping to reduce the cortisol-induced stress response. When the stress response becomes chronic, it can spell belly fat and depleted the adrenal glands.
7. Laughter gives the immune system a boost, helping to ward off infections. Whether you’re fighting a cold or flu or even cancer, laughter is great medicine.