1. Spätzle [Germany]
A popular egg noodle, spätzle can be served a number of different ways. They’re also an easy noodle to make without fancy equipment! I especially like the grated cheese and fried onion variety. See recipe for noodles below and get creative!
- 1 c. flour
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- Pinch of white pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, nutmeg, pinch of pepper and salt. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Alternate adding eggs and milk into the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth. Let rest for about 15 minutes.
2. Press dough through a metal grater (kind of like you would with cheese). You can also use a large-holed sieve or colander.
3. Bring lightly salted water to a boil, and add spatzle in batches. Stir occasionally (and gently) until the spatzle floats on the surface, about 4 minutes. Pour into colander and rinse with cold water. Repeat as many times as necessary.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add spatzle and coat evenly with butter for about 1-2 minutes.
Recipe inspired by Tyler Florence.
See Also: Greek Stuffed Tomatoes & Peppers (Recipe)