7 Simple Space Clearing Steps For a Fresh 2014
A powerful way to set the stage for an auspicious new year is to clear out the old and start with fresh new energy in your home. I always do a symbolic cleansing ritual on New Year’s day or within the first week of the new year. It only takes 30 minutes or so, and it is a wonderful way to bring closure to all that went on last year and to clear the space for new beginnings.
So often we let life just happen to us. Performing a space clearing is a way to energetically embrace and call in what you want to take place in 2014.
All ancient cultures acknowledged that everything in the universe was made up of life-source energy and that it accumulated over time and needed to be cleared. Space clearings were done regularly in many cultures, and were considered just as important as physically cleaning an interior space. These space clearing rituals always included sound and elements from nature.
Here is one space clearing technique that includes elements from all ancient cultures. I love that this connects us to our ancestors and acknowledges our own connection to mother earth, invoking the guidance from those who lived with the rhythms of the earth and still have much to teach us.
To get started, choose at least one item from each of the 5 categories:
1. Sound instruments: Bells of any kind, Tibetan singing bowls, rattles, hand-held chimes, rain sticks, clap sticks, chimes, drums, gongs or harmony balls, or even a pan and a spoon. Your own voice is also just fine. If you don’t have an instrument with you, then clapping will work.
2. Something from the earth: Smoke from sage, pine needles, incense, salt. Holly was used by the ancient Celts as a symbol of death and rebirth during the winter solstice and was burned ritually to symbolize the letting go of the old and bringing in of the new.
3. Holy water: You can make your own by taking purified water, putting it in a bowl, adding your prayers and a crystal, and letting it sit overnight in the elements. Or, if it is meaningful for you, you can ask to take some holy water from your neighborhood Catholic church.
4. Fire: Candles are the best source.
5. Nature: I float flowers in a bowl of water, add a drop of holy water and put one in each room (you can add stones, rice, a crystal, etc.).
7 Simple Steps to Cleansing the Energy in you Home:
The precursor to this ritual is to thoroughly clean and de-clutter your space. The de-cluttering alone is one of the most powerful ways you can energetically make room for new things to come in 2014. You also want to take a shower that morning and make sure to take another one that evening. If you can’t do that, at least wash your hands thoroughly before and after. Then open the windows to let the old energies out (I know some of you live in freezing temperatures but try to at least open them while doing the main part of the clearing).
Once you have done this:
1. Create an ”altar“ in every room, adding fire (votive candles are the safest, not tapered ones that can fall over) , something from nature, such as your bowl of flowers and/or an incense stick. You might want to sprinkle a little rock salt in every room.
2. Call in your guides. These are the personal guides, angels, deities that have meaning to you. Ask for assistance and protection in clearing out the old energies and bringing in the new.
3. Ground yourself. You can do this by closing your eyes and visualizing huge roots going down into the earth from your feet and attaching to a huge boulder in the center of the earth.
4. Set your intention. Be clear about what it is you intend, for example: “I now let go of old stuck energy from my home and life and invite in new opportunities and new beginnings.” Connect to your intuition and add more of the specifics of what you want to let go of and invite in.
5. Use your sound instrument to do a deep cleanse. Once your altars are set in every room, start at the front door and walk around the home counter-clockwise. Clapping or singing or clanging your instrument, moving up and down the walls, with the intention to clear out all of the past energies. Repeat in any room that feels particularly stagnant or where sadness, discord, accidents or anything else might have been focused in the past year.
6. Uplift and smooth the energy with harmony balls. Now that you have loosened the stuck energies, smooth the energy using an instrument that is soothing, such as a Tibetan Bowl, harmony balls, rain sticks, hand-held chimes, Tibetan bells, or even vocal chanting. I stand in the middle of each room and as I am smoothing the energies I intend with gratitude all of the new things that I want to bring into my life and welcome them into my home for the new year.
7. Complete. Go back to the front door, thank your guides and release them. Then hold the vision clearly throughout the day. You can also do a smaller smudging with white sage or incense every day, doing a mini-space clearing and renewing your intentions. And…very important, empty the water from the bowls off your own property, don’t pour it down the sink!
Happy New Year to all my friends at Care2.com and may this be your best year ever!
Erica Sofrina is an Internationally recognized speaker, teacher and author of the book Small Changes, Dynamic Results! Feng Shui for the Western World. She is the founder of the Academy of Feng Shui and teaches Practitioner Certification Training programs through her school in California and online.